Chapter Forty-One

The next morning came far too quickly for Celia's liking. It seemed that she had only just closed her eyes when there came a soft knock at the door, followed by Derek's, "My lord? It's nearly seven."

Celia lifted her head to squint at the door. "Who's there?"

"It's Derek, my lady. I'm terribly sorry to disturb you, but His Highness is expecting Prince Selig in Heimdall's chambers by eight."

"No, it's... it's all right, Derek." Celia sat up, rubbing her eyes with one hand. "He's still sleeping, so just give me a minute."

"Of course, my lady."

"He's awake," Selig murmured from the depths of his pillow. He lifted his head, his eyes heavy-lidded, with dark shadows beneath them. "He's not happy about it, but he's awake."

Celia bit back a smile. For a moment, he looked six years old again, with his hair poking up in a bushy black mess. "He's up, Derek. He'll be there."

"My lady, do either of you require assistance?"

She smiled as Selig flopped back into the pillow with a groan, his eyes closing. "No. We're fine. Thank you."

"If you need anything--"

"I know. I'll pull the rope." She sat back against the mahogany headboard, rubbing her face with both hands now. Glancing down at Selig, she said, "Are you still awake?"

"Uh-huh."

"You don't sound awake."

"I'm beat. I think you're trying to kill me."

"Oh, really?" She scrunched down and rolled onto her stomach, bunching the pillow beneath her head.

"You had me up half the night, Ce."

"I think it's more the other way around." She poked him in the ribs.

He jumped. "I said I'm up, Ce. No need to poke me."

"Then get up. Before Derek comes knocking again."

"He does and I'm sacking him." Selig pulled the pillow over his face.

She tugged it away, tossing it to the foot of the bed. "Ah-ah, time to go to work, Prince Selig."

"Let Svartalfheim and Vanaheim go to war," he grumbled, slowly sitting up once more. "I don't give a damn."

With a tired sigh, he slid to the far edge of the bed, swinging his legs over the side to plant his feet on the floor. Celia couldn't help but admire the view, the muscles in his shoulders and back bunching, then smoothing as he stretched his arms above his head.

Without thinking, she crawled up behind him to press her lips into the cool skin over his right shoulder blade. She rose to her knees, draping her arms about his shoulders as she brushed her lips over his right cheek. "I'm sorry you're so easy, Sel."

His laugh was low as it rumbled through her. "Beautiful blondes are my weakness."

"All of them?"

"Well, mostly one." He grinned at her over his shoulder, then reached for her to pull her into his arms. "What time did he say it was?"

"After seven and your father is expecting you for eight, so you do not have time." A chill raced through her as he swept a kiss along her neck, up toward her ear, where he caught her lobe between teasing teeth. "No, Selig, we do not have time for this... oh, God... that feels nice," she whispered, her eyes closing as the chills became far more delicious.