Chapter Thirty-Two

They lay there quietly, wrapped in each other. Celia had no idea what time it was, nor did she care. It didn't matter. All that mattered was that she was in Selig's arms once more, and he was in hers.

His fingers skimmed over her hair. "You asleep, Ce?"

"Not yet," she murmured.

His hand went still. "Are you going to tell me?"

She lifted her head from his chest to gaze down at him. His eyes glittered in the half-light coming from the bathroom. "Tell you what?"

"Are you pregnant?"

An icy finger trailed down over her spine. "How did you-did you have Heimdall spy on me?"

He shook his head. "I had him watch over you. Not spy on you. He knew you were worried about something and what that something was. I told him to allow you privacy."

She sank back against him. "I'm not pregnant."

He resumed stroking her hair. "You don't sound happy about that."

"Is that why you came back? Out of some sense of duty because I might be pregnant?"

His hand went still again. "Is that what you think?"

She paused. "No. I don't, really." She lifted her head to gaze up at him. "And I'm not happy about it, if you want the truth. I was a little disappointed."

He smiled. "You want to have a baby?"

"I wanted to have your baby, Selig. Our baby."

"We can try, if you want. But, there's something I want you to do first."

Her heart rose, a nervous flutter rippling through her. "What?"

"You have to marry me, Celia." He rolled onto his side, gazing down at her. His hand curved against her cheek. "I'm miserable without you, sweetheart. I don't like sleeping alone."

She let her eyes close as his thumb swept against her. "Well, you could probably find someone willing to share your bed."

"See, that's the problem Ce. I don't want just someone. I want you."

She opened her eyes to find him gazing intently at her. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure." He grinned, his hand slipping down along her neck. "I need someone I can play with, and you and I have been playing together for over twenty years."

His grin did something to her insides, made them feel all kinds of melty. "Yeah, well, I'm not playing cars or Legos with you. You always take the good ones."

The sheets rustled as he slid both arms around her and pulled her atop him. "I far prefer this kind of playing these days, sweetheart," he whispered before he pulled her down to meet his kiss.

"Mmmm..." she breathed when they slowly parted. "I like this kind of playing, too."

"So, will you marry me, Ce? Put me out of my misery already?"

She pulled back to gaze down at him. He looked tired, with faint shadows beneath his eyes and a hint of beard beneath his skin. His dark hair was a mess from her frantic fingers. "Can I have my ring back?"

"Done." He flicked his fingers and the diamond and amethyst ring appeared on her finger once more, sparkling despite the low light. Somehow, that didn't surprise her.

She smiled down at him, gently brushing his hair away from his face. "Why didn't you tell me the truth?"

"What?"