Chapter Fifty-One

Celia slid her fingers through Selig's thick hair, smiling as she murmured, "What are you doing?"

He lifted his head from her stomach and said, "Nothing. Why?"

"Were you talking to the teeny little clump of cells that looks more like an alien than it does a baby at this point?"

He didn't look the least bit embarrassed as he said, "Maybe."

"Are you telling secrets, Sel?" she asked as he lowered his head and his lips brushed her just above her navel.

"I just want him or her to get used to the sound of my voice."

She pressed her lips together at that. It was just a bit before they had to leave to go to dinner and they were lying on her bed, where'd they'd been since she told him about the baby. He kept smiling down at her, shaking his head as he said, "A baby..."

"Yes, Sel. A baby," she finally said with a laugh.

That's when he pulled her close, kissed her softly, and whispered, "I love you," just before peeling her clothes off to make love to her.

Now, all was quiet and they were both dressed once more. But Selig had pushed her shirt up to her ribs and she shook her head as he whispered something else. It was adorable, really, watching him as he brushed another kiss over her stomach, and her heart melted as she stroked his hair again. "Do you want a boy or a girl?"

He looked up. "I don't know. I know I'm supposed to say it doesn't matter, as long as the baby is healthy, but I think I want a little girl."

"You do?" She brought her free arm up to cradle her head.

"You sound surprised, Ce. Why?"

"Well, I figured you'd want a boy."

"A boy would be nice, but I always saw us with a daughter, for some reason." He shifted, moving back to lie beside her.

She gazed up at him as he brought his hand down onto her stomach. "I wouldn't mind a baby girl," she said, covering his hand with hers.

"You should start to show soon," he said, kissing the top of her head. "It's probably a good thing our wedding is only a few days' out."

"How soon?"

"Another two weeks or so, I think. Ask my mother when we finally tell them." His hand pressed a little tighter against her. "We're having a baby, Celia."

"I know." She smiled up at him, letting her thumb sweep along the back of his hand. "It's so hard to believe that right now, a little bit of you and a little bit of me are creating an entirely new little person."

"Damn..." His eyes grew soft as they held hers and he eased his hand out from beneath hers to cover hers. As his fingers linked with hers, he whispered, "A new life, beautiful girl. One we created."

"I know." She snuggled closer to him. "This is amazing. And a little nauseating."

"What?"

"I feel a little nauseous. I'm sure it's nothing more than morning sickness. I'll talk to Eir about it tomorrow. She can keep a secret, right?"

"She can."

"I think we should tell your family, though," she said softly, trying to ignore the not-so-gentle roiling of her stomach. "Your mom's been through this. I have no idea what to expect."

Selig brushed her hair away from her face and leaned over to brush her forehead with his lips. "When do you want to tell them? Before or after the wedding?"