Chapter Thirty-Nine

Dinner this time was far less uncomfortable for Celia, although people seemed to stare twice as hard. And, just like the last time, it seemed certain women--whose faces looked somewhat familiar--glared at her with even more hatred than before.

But she didn't let it ruin her enjoyment of being with Selig and his family, who all seemed happy, and to a certain extent, relieved, to have her back in Asgard. Apparently, Aislinn wasn't exactly kidding when she said she was worried for Selig. It seemed most of his family was as well.

When the meal ended, Selig caught her by the elbow as she rose from her chair. "There are a few people I want you to meet, Ce," he said, gesturing to a long trestle table closest to the dais where the royal family dined.

"Who?"

"Well, three of them are going to Svartalfheim with me and one will stay here, to accompany you to Midgard, if you have need to travel there."

"My security?"

"Trust me, you'll like Lady Sif." He gestured to a tall, lithe woman with high cheekbones, near perfect features, and shimmering dark hair pulled up into a high ponytail.

Somehow, she wasn't so certain she'd like Lady Sif at all.

Still, she smiled at Selig as he led her down from the dais and around to that tall brunette. With her were three men--one a stoic-looking Asian, one a handsome blond with a flirty smile, and the third was quite possibly the largest man she'd ever seen. Big. Burly. Red-haired with an equally big and burly red beard.

The redhead smiled as they approached. "So, we finally get to meet the much-talked-about-but-not-yet-seen Lady Celia," he said, bowing low. "It is an honor to meet the lady who won Prince Selig's fickle heart."

"Shut up, Volstagg," Selig told him with a grin. "I wasn't fickle. I was looking in the wrong place. Instead of Asgard, I should have been on Midgard."

"Ahhh... apparently the Jötunn's greatest weakness is not heat, but Midgardian women. Two generations of them have succumbed. And I daresay, if you have a son, he will probably fall prey as well." Volstagg straightened up and smiled as he caught her hand warmly. "It is a pleasure, Lady Celia."

"Thank you." She looked at all four Asgardians. "It's nice to meet all of you."

"This is Volstagg," Selig said, gesturing to each one. "The quiet one is Hogun. Watch out for Fandral-or more succinctly, Fandral, watch yourself, she's taken. They are known as the Warriors Three and they, along with Lady Sif, are my father's most trusted warriors."

"The pleasure is all ours, my lady," Fandral said, bowing low.

"Thank you."

"We've heard much about you. It is an honor to meet the future queen of Asgard."

She smiled at Hogun. "Wow... that sounds so... wow..."

Selig eased his arm about her waist as Lady Sif said, "It's wonderful to meet you. Prince Selig has spoken of you since he was a child. We all feel as if we already know you to a certain degree."

She looked up at Selig. "You told everyone here about me?"

"Ce, you were my best friend. I probably didn't shut up about you." He gave her a gentle squeeze. "Now, while I'm gone, if you need to go home for anything, I want you to take Lady Sif with you." He glanced over at Sif. "Has my father already spoken to you about that?"

Sif nodded. "He has and Princess Aislinn has also reminded me that it is all right with her as well." She smiled down at Celia. "You need only have Heimdall call for me and I will be ready to go in only minutes."