Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

The sun streamed through the sheers to bounce across the amethyst-colored carpet and when Selig opened his eyes, it took him a minute to remember where he was. He smiled. Celia's favorite color was purple and it showed in her bedroom. The walls were soft purple, the curtains were plum, held back with silver braided ties, and prints of purple butterflies hung on the walls. Even her sheets were purple.

She curved against him in her sleep, her back to his chest, her hair tickling him with each breath she drew. He tightened his arms about her, kissing the back of her head as she snuggled against him.

It was rare for him to wake up next to a woman. Elke was the exception and that was only because he fell asleep first. Usually, he preferred to not bring his company back to his chambers. It was easier if he was the one to leave.

But now, the last thing he wished to do was move. This felt right. He was supposed to be there, with Celia in his arms. His Celia. Forever.

With his free hand, he brushed her hair away from her ear and leaned to kiss her, whispering, "Mine," as she sighed in her sleep and snuggled closer still.

"Selig..." It was a mere whisper, but made him smile just the same.

"I love you," he murmured, kissing her again, this time below her ear. He moved down along her neck, tightening his arms about her, pulling her closer still.

"Selig?" Sleep thickened her voice as she lifted her head to peer at him through heavy-lidded eyes. "What time is it?"

He peeked over her at the clock on the nightstand. "Not quite seven. Do you have to work today?"

"No. Not until tomorrow."

"So go back to sleep, then."

"I was trying to sleep when you decided to crush me." She tried to scowl at him, but didn't quite manage.

"Sorry, sweetheart. I like the way you feel against me."

"Well, I guess I can forgive you then." She rolled in his arms to face him. "How long have you been awake?"

"Not long. Maybe ten minutes." He slid one hand down her back, over the curve of her backside and cupped that cheek, pressing her against him.

Her eyelids slid shut and a smile played at her lips. "Mmmm..."

"Mmmm, indeed," he murmured, doing it again.

Her eyes opened. "You do some wicked things to me, Selig Lokison, you know that?"

"I try. I am the Son of Mischief, remember."

She laughed, rubbing her eyes with one hand. "Trina really didn't mean any insult."

"I'm not insulted. If I had my magic, I'd have shown them all just what kind of mischief I can manage."

"I shudder to think what you would have done."

"Nothing to embarrass you, sweetheart."

She untangled herself from his embrace and sat up. "Well, I'm up, so I might as well get up."

He bit back a sigh at the sight of her bare back. As she shifted, he could just make out the curve of her right breast. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. He reached for her, pulling her back into his arms. "Where are you going?"

"Breakfast. Shower. Get the day started."

He shook his head. "Uh-uh, sweetheart. Not yet."

"Selig, you can't possibly want to fool around again. Damn, it's going to fall off if we keep this up."