Chapter Twenty-Seven

Selig was numb as he made his way back to his chambers. Absolutely numb. He held Celia's engagement ring clenched in one hand and as he closed the door to his room, he slammed it down onto his nightstand.

His bed was still disheveled from his night with her. As he stood there, staring down at the wrinkled sheets and balled up blanket, guilt sliced through him like a razor-sharp spear.

"Then you owe it to her to be completely honest with her. We both know what went on in her house when you were both little. And if she trusts you, you're probably one of the only people she does trust. She needs to know that trust won't ever be betrayed and if you don't tell her the truth and that truth comes out, she will never forgive you."

His mother's words echoed through his skull, growing louder with each reverberation. Damn it, why didn't he listen? Why didn't he ever learn from his mistakes?

Well, this time he really did it.

Celia was gone.

She didn't want to marry him,

Hell, she could barely look at him.

He squeezed his eyes shut and his hands tightened into fists. In a sudden burst of rage, he sent everything in the room hurtling about. Furniture crashed into the walls, a lamp smashed to the floor, his bed upended itself.

"No!" His voice, low and furious, bounced all around him, growing in volume with each pass.

"Sel?" Aislinn poked her head into the room.

"What?" he growled, whipping around to face her. "What do you want?"

"Where is Celia going?" she asked, her eyes wide as she scanned the room. "I saw her rushing through the gates. Was she crying?"

He clenched his teeth so tight, he wouldn't have been surprised if they shattered, and his fists tightened even more. "Go away, Al. This doesn't concern you."

"Selig, what's going on?" She eased around the door and closed it gently. "What happened in here?"

"I mean it, Aislinn. Get. Out."

"Sel-" Her hand came to rest on his shoulder.

"Get out!" he bellowed, knocking her hand from him.

"Okay. I-I'm sorry, Sel." She backed toward the door, opening it without taking her eyes off him. "I just... I'll just leave you be..."

He ignored her, stalking out onto the terrace where he sank onto the ledge and leaned back, thunking his head against the golden pillar. How could he be so stupid? One of Asgard's fiercest warriors and he was such a damned coward.

And now, because of that cowardice he once again lost the one woman he actually cared about.

He slammed his fist into the ledge, cracking the marble although he didn't feel a thing. Son of-how did he fix this? Was it even possible?

He didn't think so. Celia could barely look at him. He repulsed her now. And he couldn't really fault her. He repulsed himself at the moment.

"Selig?"

He groaned at his mother's voice, heavy with concern. A moment later, she stood on the topmost step between his room and the terrace, her face lined with concern. "Selig, what happened? Aislinn told me Celia left?"

"I should've listened to you, Mom," he said, turning back to stare out over the water. "I should've been honest with her. And I wasn't."

"And she knows it?"