Chapter Fourteen

Outside, the sun still blazed, warming her skin as she pulled off the three pieces of the top and packed them away. Then, with the stereo cranked to Five Finger Death Punch, she rocketed out of her space, eased the transmission into first gear, and took off. The warm air dried her hair better than any hair dryer, and without any frizz, and by the time she pulled into her parking space, it was almost completely dry.

The inside front door was open and as she pulled open the storm door, she heard the television. CNN if her ears didn't deceive her. She smiled. Whenever they played at his house and cartoons weren't on, Selig's dad always had CNN on. Like father, like son.

But when she came into the living room, it was empty. She dropped her bag on the floor in front of the love seat. "Selig?"

No response.

Her belly kinked. Was it possible Loki showed up to tell Selig he could come home?

"No," she whispered, shaking her head as she picked up the remote and clicked off the television. "He wouldn't do that. Not again."

She went into the kitchen to see if he'd left a note.

Nothing.

She went upstairs. Maybe he'd fallen back asleep. They were up way too late last night.

His bed had been stripped, the pillows piled one atop the other at the foot of the bed.

"No..." Her throat tightened. Her heart hammered against her ribs. "There's got to be a reason... he just couldn't... not again..."

But when she called his name again, only silence answered her.

Her heart sank into her flipflops as she padded back downstairs and picked up her bag to take down into the basement. She rounded the corner and stopped dead in her tracks.

Selig was folding towels.

He had his back to her and she bit the inside of her bottom lip as he swayed from left to right and then did a perfect Michael Jackson spin.

He was wearing her iPod.

Pressing her lips together, she held back her laugh as he got into whatever song he was listening to. Aside from the prom, she'd never seen him dance before and at her prom, the only songs he relented to dance to, were the slow ones.

He was actually pretty good, moving gracefully for a man of his size. Probably because of all of his years of military training. Or maybe Asgardians just really liked to dance. Either way, this was a treat for her and she folded her arms over her chest and leaned back against the staircase to wait for him to finish.

"'Cause this is thriller, thriller night..." Her urge to laugh died as he began singing aloud. She'd never heard him sing before. He was really good, his voice smooth and mellow.

A voice that would soothe a child to sleep with a lullaby. She could even see it-him with a baby in his arms, swaying from side to side as he sang softly to him or her.

Her back stiffened. What the-?

He spun again and opened his eyes, freezing when he saw her. A hint of a blush swept through his cheeks (his freshly shaven cheeks. She wondered if he'd used her razor) and he pulled the ear buds out. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough to expect to see you moonwalk across the tile." She set down her bag and smiled. "I didn't know you knew the words to Thriller."

"My mom had this album when she was a kid. She liked to play Thriller at Halloween, remember?"

"That's right. And your dad would decorate your house with real bats and other creatures of the night. I remember Kelly Mahon's dad always asking him how he did it."