Chapter Forty-Five

Celia held her breath as Nicky led her into the infirmary, exhaling as quietly as she could when she neared Selig's bed. His eyes were closed, his chest slowly rising and falling. Eir had removed his bloodstained tunic, and a snowy white bandage covered the upper right side of his chest. Where his cheek had been laid open there was only a narrow scab now.

"Here, my lady," Eir said softly, bringing over a chair. "You may sit with him as long as you wish."

"Thank you, Eir." Celia smiled at the Healer. "He's going to be okay?"

She nodded. "He will be fine in time. Like his father, he heals quickly."

Nicky patted her shoulder. "Do you need anything, Ce?"

"I'm fine. Thank you." She turned her smile to him. "And don't blame yourself, Nick. Whatever it was, I'm sure Selig will understand eventually."

Nicky didn't smile, but he did nod. "I hope so. I've the feeling I'm in for a long lecture from my father when he returns." He glanced up at Eir. "If Lady Celia needs anything--"

"I know, Prince Nicholas. And I will take care of her as well."

"I know." Nicky winked at Celia and took himself off, letting the door swing silently shut behind him.

"I will be in my chambers, Lady Celia. Just around that corner," Eir gestured to the far corner, "if you need me. Otherwise, he should awaken soon."

"Thank you, again, Eir."

Eir bobbed her head and left Celia in peace. As soon as the healer left, Celia rose and skirted the bed to the far side, where she gingerly hoisted herself up and slid over to curve against him. "Thank God," she whispered, easing her hand over his.

To her surprise, his fingers tightened about hers and he whispered, "Mine."

She smiled as she squeezed him back. "Mine."

His eyes slowly opened and he turned his head toward her. He still looked exhausted, with purplish smudges beneath his eyes and several days' worth of black scruff covering the lower half of his face. But as she gazed over at him, her eyes began to sting. It could have ended so much worse.

"Are you crying, Ce?" His voice was soft, tired, and he closed his eyes for a long moment.

"No."

"Don't lie to me." His eyes opened again. "I'm okay, sweetheart. Just a little dented. It looks far worse than it is."

"I know. But--"

"No... no but..." He winced as he lifted his arm to ease about her. As he pulled her closer, he murmured, "I'm okay. In a few days, you won't even be able to tell."

She tucked her head against him. "I'm just glad you're home."

"Oh, that makes two of us, beautiful girl."

As he pressed a kiss into her temple, she squeezed her eyes shut, but not before a couple of tears snuck out. She couldn't help it, couldn't make her eyes stop leaking. Selig just held her in his one arm, his hand moving lightly along her hair as he whispered, "Shhh, Ce... shhh...Everything is okay now, sweetheart. It's okay."

That only made her slip her arm about his waist and tighten her hold on him. As she did, his hand came to rest on the back of her head, with only his thumb moving lightly over her hair. "It's all right, Ce. Shhh..."

When she was finally able to stop the stupid tears, she sniffed and dabbed at her eyes with her sleeve, then winced when she realized she'd just wiped her eyes with her bloodstained shirtsleeve. "Ugh."