Chapter Forty-Eight

The candles' flickering flames sent long shadows dancing along the walls and as Selig dozed beside her, Celia lay perfectly content watching those shadows. His arm draped about her waist, his fingertips just brushing her stomach, and as far as she was concerned, there was nowhere else she would rather be.

If she thought her actual prom night had been the stuff of dreams, it paled in comparison to this prom night. With a flick of Selig's fingers, they were both dressed to spare Derek any embarrassment and he was more than expedient as he set out their meal. Selig had arranged for a wonderful dinner, complete with what had to be the most decadent chocolate mousse ever whipped, and champagne that put even Cristal to shame. Afterward, he flicked his fingers and the music began again and he pulled her into his arms. Dancing led to kissing, which led to his peeling her clothes off once more and this time, he left no part of her untouched. When he was finished, she trembled from head to toe, unspeakable pleasure swirling through her. Then they made love again.

And now, peace reigned as they lay together in the golden glow of candlelight and love, his arm about her, tightening if he sensed her moving away. It took her several tries when she had to get up to pee, and when she came back and slid back beneath the fine black sheet, he caught her and tugged her against him.

"What's the matter?" Selig asked, his voice soft and thick with sleep.

"Nothing," she whispered. "Why?"

"You're still awake. I thought for certain you'd be asleep by now."

"I hate to see tonight end," she confessed, rising onto her elbow to gaze down at him. The wound in his shoulder had just about healed and without thinking, she traced her fingertip along the scar. "It was weird being here without you."

"Sweetheart, there will be more nights like this. Many more." He offered up a sleepy smile as he reached up to touch her face. "Many, many more."

She caught his hand by the wrist and turned it to press a kiss into his palm. "I like the sound of that, but I think we'll both end up walking funny if we aren't careful."

He tugged her down. "I'll take my chances with you, beautiful girl."

She'd take her chances with him as well. There were worse ways to go, she supposed. With a sigh, she snuggled against him. "We need to pick a date, Sel."

"How soon can we do this?"

"You tell me, this is your stomping ground."

"Would you rather my father or Bestefar do our ceremony?"

She traced along a vein in his hand, one that ran up along his forearm. "I've been thinking about that and... do you think your dad would think it weird if I asked him to walk me down the aisle?"

He rolled over to gently pin her beneath him. "You don't want your father to do it?"

"I haven't spoken to him in years, Sel. I kind of cut myself off from everyone in my family when I moved down to Point Pleasant." She looked up at him. "But, if you think it's weird--"

"No, I don't, actually." He smoothed her hair away from her face. "I think he'd be honored, Ce. And I think Bestefar would marry us instead."

"You think so?"

He nodded. "I do." He dipped to kiss her, then nuzzled her gently. "So, let's do it as soon as we can, Ce. We've wasted enough time. I want to get married and make babies with you."

"Sel, you sound insane, you know that?"

"I know, but it's true. That's all I want, beautiful girl."