Chapter Forty-Seven

Summer in Asgard was very similar to summer in New Jersey, with only one difference. No humidity. For Celia, that was a huge difference, as humidity meant wrestling with her hair, which preferred to frizz instead of curl at the slightest hint of moisture in the air.

For some reason, Selig had gotten very mysterious on their way back to his chambers. He changed his mind at the last minute, taking her back to hers instead. At her door, he said, "I'll be back in a while, Ce. There's something I have to do first."

"What?"

"Nothing you need worry about." He smiled down at her and bent to brush her lips with a quick kiss. "Just go make yourself beautiful and I'll be back in a while."

"Selig, what's going on?"

"Nothing. It's just something I've been meaning to do and haven't had a chance until now." He cupped her face in his hands, tilted her head back, and murmured, "Get the worried look off your face, sweetheart. I promise you, it's nothing to worry about."

"So why won't you tell me?"

"Because I want to surprise you." His thumbs moved lightly over her cheeks. "Now go and I'll be back in a little bit. And I promise you, you will like it."

She narrowed her eyes at him, but said, "Okay."

"Trust me, beautiful girl."

"I don't--"

"Trust anyone who says trust me. I know. But really, you'll like this. I promise." He brushed her lips with his and then off he went, whistling softly to himself as she stood there, staring after him. He was up to something, but she couldn't figure out what that something was.

But, there was no sense in standing there, so she went into her room and as she closed the door, she noticed a small package in the middle of the neatly made bed. Eyeing it with a little suspicion, she walked over and poked it.

When it didn't explode, she picked it up and as she did, a small white envelope fluttered out of one of the creases. She set it back down and reached for the envelope, slipping a folded sheet of heavy stationery from it.

The paper was thick and creamy, and she smiled at the Odinson crest at the top. In his somewhat elegant handwriting, Selig wrote:

Beautiful girl,

Wear this tonight. It brings out the blue in your eyes.

Selig

"What the..." She sank onto the edge of the bed and tore open the paper and for a moment, her heart stopped beating. There, nestled in delicate tissue, was a gorgeous dress of sapphire blue satin, with narrow straps and a sweetheart neckline.

The same dress she'd worn to her Senior Prom.

"What is he about?" she murmured, moving to the full-length mirror, where she held the dress against her. "This is never going to fit. Not now."

Still, it wouldn't hurt to try it on, right? So she stripped off her jersey and jeans (did Selig really think she looked hot in a hockey jersey???) and slid the dress over her head.

Satin skimmed down over her in a fluid caress and as it settled into place, she smiled. Not only did it fit perfectly, but it looked as if it'd been altered for her as well. And knowing Selig, it was probably his doing.

"That son of a bitch," she murmured, beaming at her reflection. "How does he do it?"

It was corny, but she didn't care. Her stomach fluttered almost exactly the same way it did seven years ago as she readied herself for what she then-considered the most important night of her life. This time, Christy wasn't there to help her, but she didn't care. She slid out of the dress to take a dip in the tub, and then when she was finished, offered up a short prayer that her hair behave.