Chapter 6 - Meltdown

Jared's mom, Sarah, was in the kitchen preparing dinner when she heard a loud crash from Jared's room. She rushed to see what had happened and found Jared lying on the floor, surrounded by broken toys and scattered papers.

"What happened, Jared?" she asked, trying to keep her voice calm.

"I can't do it!" Jared yelled, tears streaming down his face. "I can't finish my homework!"

Sarah knew that Jared had been struggling with his schoolwork lately. She had tried to help him, but he had become increasingly frustrated and agitated. She knew that he was on the verge of a meltdown.

"Okay, Jared," she said, kneeling down beside him. "Let's take a break for a minute. Do you want to talk about what's bothering you?"

"I don't understand this stupid math problem!" Jared shouted, throwing his pencil across the room.

Sarah took a deep breath and tried to remain calm. She knew that Jared needed her to be patient and understanding.

"Okay, let's take a look at it together," she said, picking up the crumpled paper. "Can you show me what you're having trouble with?"

Jared hesitated for a moment, then slowly got up from the floor. He sat down at the table and pointed to the problem he was struggling with.

Sarah sat down beside him and began to explain the problem in a way that Jared could understand. She used visual aids and diagrams to help him see the solution. Slowly but surely, Jared began to calm down and focus on the task at hand.

After a few minutes, Jared was able to solve the problem on his own. He looked up at Sarah with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

"Thanks, Mom," he said, smiling. "I couldn't have done it without you."

Sarah smiled back, feeling relieved and grateful. She knew that Jared's meltdowns were a part of his life, but she also knew that with patience and understanding, they could work through them together.