Chapter 19 - Friend

Jared walked into the school cafeteria, scanning the room for a place to sit. He had only been at this new school for a few weeks, but he still hadn't made any friends. He felt alone and out of place.

As he looked around, he saw groups of kids laughing and chatting with each other. He longed to be a part of one of those groups, to have people to talk to and hang out with. But every time he tried to join in, he felt like an outsider.

Jared sighed and grabbed a tray, heading towards an empty table in the corner of the room. He sat down and started to eat his lunch, trying to ignore the pit in his stomach.

As he ate, he thought about all the times he had tried to make friends. He had joined clubs, sports teams, and even tried to start conversations with his classmates. But nothing seemed to work. He always felt like he was on the outside looking in.

Jared finished his lunch and headed to his next class, feeling more alone than ever. He knew that he needed to find a way to make friends, but he didn't know how.

Later that day, Jared was walking home from school when he saw a girl sitting on a bench, reading a book. She looked up as he walked by, and he caught her eye.

"Hi," she said, smiling at him.

Jared froze. He didn't know what to say. He had never been good at talking to people, especially girls.

"Um, hi," he said, feeling awkward.

The girl put down her book and stood up. "I'm Sarah," she said. "What's your name?"

"I'm Jared," he said, feeling a bit more comfortable.

Sarah smiled. "Nice to meet you, Jared. Do you want to sit and talk for a bit?"

Jared hesitated, feeling nervous. But something about Sarah's friendly smile made him feel like he could trust her.

"Sure," he said, sitting down on the bench next to her.

As they talked, Jared felt a glimmer of hope. Maybe he could make friends after all. Maybe he just needed to find the right person.