Brother

The next morning Sirius wasn't doing any better. He'd had one of his nightmares that night and hadn't slept much afterwards. Instead he'd sat awake, thinking back to what Snape had said about Reg.
         He kept trying to force himself to remember that Snape was fucking with him. What would death eaters need with a thirteen year old boy— He was just a kid— And besides, Snape would just love to see Sirius second guessing like this.
         Still though, the thought haunted him all through the next day's classes. He knew he was being vague and strange. He could tell the others were looking at him weird, but he couldn't find it in himself to explain— So he didn't. He just nodded and shook his head and did his work.

          At dinner, Sirius only lifted his head to try and get a glimpse of Regulus in the sea of Slytherin students. And when he did, it only made him feel worse.
         Reg was in a knot of Slytherin boys who were talking animatedly. Sirius recognized Crouch, Rosier, and Mulciber, all laughing and making faces at each other. Regulus and Snape were the only two eating quietly—
         Sirius's grip on his fork went unsteady. It clattered as it fell down to his plate and James' head turned, frowning as he clocked Sirius's expression. He opened his mouth to say something, visibly came up with blanks and closed his mouth again, just sitting there awkwardly. Sirius quickly picked up his fork again, taking another bite of chicken to cover the strange silence.

         After dinner, Sirius cleared his throat.
         "You all go on up without me— I need a word with someone." The other three glanced at each other, looking apprehensive.
          "Who—?" Peter asked cautiously. Sirius shrugged his bag over his shoulder.
          "Wanted to ask Flitwick about the lesson yesterday. Spaced out." They all nodded slowly. Sirius could feel the tension in the air for a moment. It felt like they knew he was lying about something— He half expected one of them to try and stop him.
        But then James flashed him a soft smile.
        "We'll see you up there then, mate—" Sirius nodded, unsure if he should be relieved. He waited till the three boys were out of sight before making a beeline for the Slytherin table. But he didn't see Regulus—
        He scanned around almost frantically, trying to catch a glimpse of the familiar dark curls and green robes.
       Then his eyes snagged on someone's retreating back heading towards the dungeons. Sirius propelled himself forward, catching Regulus by the wrist. The boy flinched. He looked startled as he turned around, but when his eyes set on Sirius his expression changed. Sirius couldn't quite read the look in his eyes.
         "What do you want—" Sirius swallowed, trying hard not to look as unsteady as he felt.
         "Had something to ask you about—" Regulus just stared, beginning to look irritable.
          "Okay? So ask it then—" Sirius bit his lip, trying to think of the words. His foot tapped as Regulus glared.
           "You've been— Hanging around Snape a lot— And those older boys." Regulus's eyebrows furrowed.
           "That's not a question." He said flatly. It sounded as though he was at the end of his patience and Sirius felt anger spike at the tone of his voice, but he forced it down.
           This wasn't a fight. He needed this to not be a fight.

            "I wanted to know why—" Regulus looked bewildered, irritation flashing in his stormy eyes.
            "Because they're my friends? Am I not allowed to have friends—?" Sirius pursed his lips, foot tapping rapidly against the stone floor.
            "It's not that— I just wondered—" He cut himself off, taking a breath. "Look— Snape mentioned something about you and I—" Regulus yanked his wrist out of Sirius's grasp.
          "You've been talking to Snape about me?" Sirius started at the sharpness in Regulus's voice. He opened and closed his mouth dumbly before shaking his head.
          "No? He approached me and I—" Regulus's mouth was working furiously, brows drawn tightly together.
         "What happened to leaving each other alone at school. Isn't that what you want anyways?" Sirius's chest rose and fell. He felt hot all over.
          "I never fucking said that, Reg. Don't put words in my mouth." Regulus bristled.
         "No! That's not fair! When it's 'leave me alone when I'm with James' that's just fine, but the minute I have my own friends it's—" Sirius grabbed him by the front of his robes, frame shaking.
          "Because your friends are fucking creeps, Reg. I don't want you hanging around people like that." Again, Sirius had the sudden and distinct impression that Regulus was afraid of him— The boy froze a moment, wide eyed.
          Then he kicked away, stumbling backwards as Sirius doubled over coughing.
           "Fuck off—" The boy's voice cracked as he said it, righting himself a few steps down the passageway. "Who I hang out with is none of your damn business—"
           With that he stalked off. Sirius just stood in the silence he'd left. His breaths were coming quickly and he swayed where he stood so he leaned his shoulder against the cool stone of the wall.