Bedside

James and Sirius talked on the floor for hours until the sun warmed them through the window. They talked about everything they could think to talk about— Stupid things and things that choked them both up, making them take a breath. And for the first time in so many months, Sirius felt like he really had the old James back— For a while it almost made him forget why they'd been awake all night.
And then a sleepy Peter stumbled down the stairs and Sirius was reminded of the boy who was still lying in the hospital wing. Visiting hours would be starting soon—

Peter and James agreed to stop by the Great Hall for some breakfast while Sirius went straight to the hospital wing so they walked down from Gryffindor tower together— Quietly, but still together— And when Sirius turned down a corridor, James gave him a warm and knowing smile as if to say, 'Keep him company for us.'
After a moment, Sirius smiled back, turning and making for the infirmary's double doors.

When he reached them, he found them wide open, the sun filtering in through many windows and giving the white bedding a faint glow.
He saw Remus. He was laying in bed just as he'd been left, still except for the faint rise and fall of his chest under blankets.
As he pulled a chair over to Remus's bedside, Sirius was at least happy to see that the boy looked a great deal less pale.
His honey colored curls were arranged around his forehead, soft and messy. They seemed to frame him— Making him look clean and comfortable and hurt, but still alive. Not like they'd been last night— Last night they'd stuck to his face with blood and sweat and dirt. The hairs glued together, discolored and dripping onto pale skin. They'd barely looked like hair at all then, let alone the hair Sirius loved so much.
Sirius bit his lip, scooting his chair closer and passing a gentle hand over Remus's forehead, the ends of that hair tickling his palms.
He felt tears like pinpricks in his eyes as he sat there, just him and Remus.

It felt so silly to cry over a boy when he was right there with you— But Sirius knew it was only because Remus was unconscious that he was allowed to sit there.
Sirius felt like he should have to ask for permission.. Like somehow it wasn't right of him to visit. But he couldn't imagine being anywhere else either.

He let his head drop, wiping at his eyes with one hand and taking one of Remus's with another. The palm was a bit colder than it normally would be so Sirius covered it with his own. He tried to transfer all the warmth in his own two hands to one of Remus's. The boy just let him, limp and unmoving with no choice in the matter.
As Sirius held the scarred hand, he closed his eyes. He hummed a tune softly to himself and his voice shook, but nobody else was listening so maybe that was alright.

James, Peter, and Madam Pomfrey all came and went, but Sirius stayed in that chair all day. He didn't get up once.
He should have been in classes, he knew that, but he still wouldn't get up. He couldn't force himself to leave.
He expected Pomfrey to shoo him off to at least attend his afternoon classes, but she didn't— Instead, she brought him a bowl and a mug, both steaming hot. He looked up, confused and she nodded her tidy head.
"Soup. I won't have you skipping meals on his account. He'd have my head."