Sunset Talk

It had been over two weeks since the situation with Snape and things were finally starting to settle down again.
         The lot of them had begun hanging out again at least, now unburdened by the stresses of cram studying. Snape was keeping himself at arm's length. The only times he seemed to interact with the Gryffindors at all was at his and Lily's doubled up potions desk. From what Sirius could tell, not much conversation went on between them these days..
       Unfortunately though, the same was true of James—
        Although it seemed he and Lily had found a sort of peace with each other, Sirius had noticed a definite decline in fireside chatting.
        He supposed it was to be expected— Lily was very headstrong. She didn't like to go halfway when it came to her morals and James had taken quite a blow to whatever personal change had caught Lily's interest recently.
        Despite that though, Sirius couldn't help but feel sort of disappointed. After years of brushing James' schoolyard crush off as completely and totally delusional, it had almost started to feel real. Like it might be heading somewhere.
       He hoped it hadn't been completely derailed— He didn't think a summer of James writing him long anguished and heartbroken letters was a future anyone should hope for..

———————————-

        Sirius had been granted a brief break from his detentions so he could properly study for his O.W.L.s, but now that they were over, he was back to cleaning after dinners. Every night when the other fifth years made their way up to Gryffindor tower, Sirius instead headed straight to Filch's office.
        The solitary time seemed far less comforting now that the sun set later and later and he knew a common room full of lively students was awaiting him instead of his empty dormitory...

         It was a Saturday night when Sirius walked slowly up the many flights of stone steps back to the common room. His knees were sore and he had the beginnings of a mild headache from the fumes of the cleaning solution Filch made him use, but he didn't have to bother with his homework until tomorrow and that was currently driving him.
         He had just made it to the last set of stairs when he heard a couple familiar voices.

         "I don't think it's stupid, Lils—"
         "Well I know that, but I feel silly about it and I just—"

         Lily trailed off, her and Remus freezing up slightly as they caught Sirius's eyes. He gave an awkward sort of wave and Remus smiled seemingly on instinct.
        "Where are you two sneaking off to?" He asked, raising a cheeky eyebrow. He watched Remus glance quickly at Lily before clearing his throat.
         "We were just gonna take a quick walk around the grounds— Get away from all the noise—" Sirius stared blankly back at them, licking his lips.
         "Right—" He murmured, taking another step up the stairs. "I'll leave you to it then—?"
         He searched Remus's eyes, trying to gauge whether this was more of a one on one chat. Whatever appreciation Lily had developed for him had to be at a bit of a low right now— That was his own fault.
        The boy bit at his lip, leaving a tense sort of silence before nudging Lily. She looked over at him, furrowing her brows. Sirius watched sort of uncomfortably as the two of them came to some form of nonverbal communication.
         Finally, Remus nodded his chin down the stairs, beginning again to walk.
         "Tag along— You don't wanna go up to the common room right now anyways. Pete's singing sans back up and it's not a pretty sight.." Lily snorted, shaking her head.
          "Yeah— He's many things, but I fear a singer will never be one of them.."
          Sirius grinned, letting himself fall into step with the other two, retracing his own down and down the castle stairs.

           The three of them walked for quite some time, talking and joking and poking fun at the other Gryffindors. They talked about exams and summer plans and the prospect of sixth year. Sirius brought up the basement show he'd been to with Andy last summer, suggesting that the three of them meet up for something like that one of these days because if he had to spend another single summer day trapped in number twelve, he'd be just about ready for an early grave.
           It felt weirdly good to talk just the three of them again—

           As they retired to the grass of the empty Quidditch field, the conversation began to shift ever so slowly. He'd sort of known it would all swing around eventually, but as it came, he felt himself unsure of how he should handle it—

          "Well it wouldn't be quite so frustrating if I hadn't just begun to sort of like having him around.." Lily huffed irritably as Sirius leaned back in the grass, fingers digging into the dirt.
           "But you think—" He hazarded, tilting his head slightly. "Maybe you liked him—?" She glanced at him quickly before looking down at the blade of grass she'd been twirling between her fingers. The girl let out an explosive breath.
            "God I don't know right now— Yes? Sort of??" She looked up, shaking her head. "I dunno he was just so different for a bit— It's so stupid though.. Half of me thinks he was just doing it to get in my pants which makes me crazy, but—" She cut herself off and Sirius bit his lip, feeling tense. "He was also like really sweet— for a while.."
           Remus and Sirius shared a hesitant glance. He tilted his head slightly and the taller boy gave a very small nod. Sirius pursed his lips.
           "Well— I dunno if it helps but—" He glanced at Lily before sighing, eyes straying up to the castle windows. "That boy has been pestering us since the day he met you.. I mean seriously it's been Lily this and Lily that for years." He met her eyes again, giving a weak sorta smile. "If he really just thought you were a pretty face I'm sure he'dve given up by now—" Lily sucked in a deep breath, shaking her head. Sirius watched her mouth twist.
           "That's somehow even worse—"
           "How d'you mean..?"
           "I mean if he was just an asshole I wouldn't have to be killing myself deciding whether or not I forgive him. I could just have it done and over with, you know?" She ripped out a handful of grass, eyebrows furrowed. "Problem solved."
            There was a brief pause, Sirius unsure what else there was to say on the subject.

            Eventually Remus bit his lip, finally adding his two cents. Lily almost started upon hearing his low voice.
             "You don't have to forgive him— If he crossed a line, that's your call. He'll pick himself back up eventually.."
             Lily stared for a moment, watching Remus's mouth work, chewing at the side of his lip.
             "But..?"
             The boy tilted his head.
              "But what—?"
             Lily scrunched up her face, shaking her head again.
             "No, it just— It sounded like you might try to talk me out of it—"
              Remus and Sirius shared another small glance. Sirius could tell the other boy was stifling a smile. He tapped his fingers idly against the side of his boot.
             "Do you want to be talked out of it—?"

              Lily waved an irritable hand, letting herself fall back against the field with a long sigh. Sirius snorted and Remus ripped at the grass, tossing it towards him fondly.
             When Sirius looked back at Lily, she was staring up at the slowly darkening sky; Pinks and oranges and purples reflected in her green eyes. He watched her chest rise and fall, mouth working and eyebrows drawn together— Lost in thought. He smiled softly.

             "I'll talk to James—" He said, leaning back against his elbows and feeling the grass tickle his forearms. "Tell him to screw his head back on and all."
            The girl glanced over at him, not sitting up, but clearly listening. He shot her a small wink. "Don't give up on him just yet, yeah?"

            She sighed again, eyes back on the sky.

           "I'll think about it—"

           But Sirius could hear in her voice that her mind was already made up and suddenly he felt warm. He let his own eyes stray to the clouds above them, watching the colors play together, purple seeping into the bright spring sky.