chapter 12.

UNDERHIS SHADE.

#12.

"Buti are you Okay "

One nurse asks as she walks over to me,I am not okay but i can't say because my mouth feels heavy to open.I feel my surroundings spinning before I fell down shaking.

Nurse:(Screamed)Help........

A nurse passing by rushed over to them and held Bonga In a comfortable way.

Nurse:Please call the Doctor.

She nodded then walked away.His shaking dies down as she pressed him cheeks together.Minutes later the doctor came with the other nurses and they lifted him before leading him to the ward.

NKOSI KHUMALO.

I just received a phone call from the hospital,I am one of Bonga's next of kin.Bonga and his wife are complicating my life because I now have to worry my mother by telling her.

In less than 30 minutes I was driving in the hospital premises.I pulled over then rushed in before heading straight to the Ward I was told he is in.

There is a doctor inside,he is busy checking and writing something down and there is Bonga,lying down with his eyes closed.Im now getting worried I thought It was just a minor thing.

Doctor:Oh you are here.

He says as soon as he sees me.

Me:Yes,how is he?.
Doctor:Good for now.
Me:For now?.
Doctor:Your brother is sick Nkosi,I don't know if he told you but he is very much sick and..
Me:He told me.
Doctor:He was supposed to start his chemo last week.he asked for an extra one week to fix his things.That only resulted to him here.
Me:Please do what you have to do.
Doctor:We have to wait for him to wake up,there are a few forms that he needs to sign before we do anything.
Me:Can't I sign them for him?.
Doctor:No you can't.a surgery is the most common treatment for all stages of penile cancer,lymph nodes in the groin may be taken out during surgery which may result to something negative.He has to sign the papers on him own.For now, you can go and come back later, he should be awake by then.I didn't want to tell his wife as she is also dealing with somethings hurtful at the moment.
Me:I will come with my mother later and you will explain everything,she will know how to comfort her.
Doctor:Okay,5 minutes.i need to let my patient rest.

He pat my shoulder before walking out with a nod.The beeping sound of the machine makes everything worse.I can't stand seeing him laying here.I need to inform my mom.

THANDIWE RHADEBE.

I've called Bonga 3 times now and him not answering seals the deal. I'm never going to bother him again in his life.All I ever wanted was my child to have a happy life and experience how it feels like to be a father.

Here she comes with a huge smile on her face.I hate to break the news that his father is not here even though I promised her she would be here after school.well I thought I would convince him but he is not taking my calls.

Thando:Did he come?.

She asks excited looking around for his car.

Me:No.
Thando:(Smiled)He is at home?.
Me:No ,I'm sorry baby but your father is busy and I don't think he will make it today.

She steps back disappointed.The sad look on her face breaks my heart

Me:I'm sorry baby.
Thando:But he promised me that he will be here for my birthday.
Me:Aksied Nan ,but i can make it up to you.We can do anything you want today.
Thando:Anything?.
Me:Yes anything.
Thando:(smiled)Okay, let's go home then I will tell you.

This is the Thando I raised,respectful.This is all i ever wanted for me and my child.To be happy with no one with fake promises.One would still judge if I say I hate Bonga right?

LATER THAT DAY.

SHARON KHUMALO.

"I'm sorry but you lost the other child,We need to get your womb cleaned later today.and again,I'm sorry for your loss"

The Doctor's words ring in my head like an unwanted alarm sound early in the morning.

I'm both sad and relieved that at least there is one thing that I will hold on and live for.Bonga hasn't come since the encounter we had ealier.Im kind of disappeared because I wanted to apologize,I could do it over the phone but i don't have it with me.

The door opens and Nkosi and mother in law  walks in.

"Ohhh mtanami"She says as she walks over before giving me a hug.

Mother:Nkosi told me about what happened,How are you feeling?

This is exactly the same reason why I love her this much,she is such a caring sweetheart.

Me:I'm feeling better now that you are here.
Mother:Oh ,it will be Okay mtanami.
Me:Where is Bonga?.

She turns and looks at Nkosi before nodding her head.

Nkosi:He was admitted this morning.

My heart skips as he continues.

Nkosi:He fainted.

I hope I'm not the reason for that.Now I feel more bad than I have been feeling.

Me:How is he?.
Nkosi:He is not Okay, The doctor says he will be up soon so he can sign the papers before his chemo starts.
Me:No.
Nkosi:I'm sorry.
Me:No,he is supposed to start it next week.we are supposed to use this remaining week together and bonding.Thats not how it's supposed to be.
Nkosi:He was supposed to start it last week and he asked for another 1 week to sort out his things.

Maybe sorting out his things included him telling me about the baby,I might have judged him too fast and jumped over the conclusion.Tears start streaming down my face.he was supposed to start this therapy with a peaceful heart.

Me:Can I see him now.
Nkosi:Let me call the doctor,he must be awake by now.

He says then walk out.Mother is still looking down wiping her own tears.should anything happen to Bonga, I will never forgive my self.Maybe things would've been different had I not said the things I said to him ealier.I won't ever forget that broken look on his face before walking out.

Minutes later the nurse walks in with a wheelchair.Are they kidding Me?

Me:I can walk on my self.
Mother:Please don't fight her my child,this is for your own good.

I will only agree because she is here.

The nurse helps me down before helping me sit.She pushed me to the Ward not far from mine,this is what I love about private hospitals, you don't have to pass through and see all different kind of different sick people when you want to see someone.

He is awake,He smiled immediately when he sees me.If the guilt that is eating me up does not finish me then nothing else will.

Me:Hey.
Bonga:Hey.Can you guys please give us space.

He says facing his Nkosi.They all walk out leaving the both of us.

Bonga:I'm sorry.
Me:It's fine but why didn't you tell me.
Bonga:I didn't want to hurt you.

This is exactly why I'm getting angry at him all over again.he is never serious.

Me:There is no such thing all these years.
Bonga:I swear,I only started talking to them last month after I found out I'm sick,I didn't want to die and leave my child behind uncared.
Me:What makes you think i will believe that.
Bonga:Because it is the truth babe.
Me:And the phone call and private meeting with the lawyer,Please don't lie to me because I know everything,I just want you to.....
Bonga:I changed my will.
.
.
.