Chapter 34 - Epiphany

LOST IN TIME FOUND IN LOVE

Deep, truth lurks and hides
In masks we wear, lies we weave
Truth slaps, bitter pill

WE SHARED a painful, lingering gaze, and it's eating me up. Why is she telling me this? Is she thinking of leaving? What could I have done for her to trust a criminal more than me? Bakit ang saklap sa pakiramdam na marinig ito mula sa kanya?

"W-what on earth are you talking about?" Palagi na lang akong nauutal. This could really show my emotions, and it perfectly captures how I'm feeling at the moment.

She got up from her chair all serious, but then a smirk just crept onto her face. Like nothing happened, she let out a sigh and strolled in front of me, checking herself out in the lab gown. "Sleeping when I don't look good is the worst. Sana dinamitan mo naman ako nang maayos kanina, I can't believe you just threw me onto the bed like this. Muka tuloy akong takas ng..."

"Bilibid?"

She gave an eye roll like no other. "Hospital."

I don't get why she's acting like this, when I tried to stand up, she held my shoulder to keep me in the chair.

"Why the surprise? Lemme say it again... I had a moment of thinking Amora was right."

Nagtagis ang aking bagang. "Narinig ko, hindi mo kailangang ulitin."

"It's a super quick moment, literally just one second," she said softly. She traced her fingers up my shoulders and to my jaw, and then she sat down on my lap. She's seated sideways on my lap, her gaze fixed on me, with her legs draped to one side. Our bodies oriented towards each other in a perfect angle that we're able to have eye contact and stay intimately close.

"Why do you gotta bring that up? Is something bugging you?" My hands were glued to the chair, my body froze, and I didn't know how to respond. We're in the middle of a serious conversation, and I need her to be upfront with me first.

"I told you it's just a quick second, yet being with you makes time endless, and I definitely feel safer," wika niya. Ibinalot niya ang kamay sa batok ko at paminsan minsa'y kanyang niyayapos ang likod at buhok ko na umeepekto naman dahil nawawala 'yong inis ko sa panggugulat niya.

"I..." I couldn't find the words.

"I can tell you haven't had breakfast yet," she said, with her eyes locked on my face. "Namumutla ka and your lips are dry."

I turned my eyes elsewhere to resist temptation. Pagkatapos, itinulak niya palayo ang croissant na ginawa ni Eliza at kinuha ang sandwich na inihanda ko para sa kanya saka siya bumulong dahil pinanindigan ko talaga ang paghawak sa upuan. "Kapag ako nahulog dito, I'll kill you talaga."

"There are a ton of chairs around."

"But you're the coziest chair in the house," sabi niya na parang wala lang.

I gave her a shoulder shrug and wrapped my arms around her waist to offer the support she wanted, and then I watched her continuing with her task. Next thing I knew, she had the sandwich positioned in front of my mouth, waiting for me to take a bite.

"Kaya ko na," tinanggihan ko siya at sinubukang kunin 'yong sandwich sa kanya pero nakatanggap lamang ako ng masamang tingin kapalit noon.

"Eat," she commanded seriously. I furrowed my brows, took a bite, and while I was munching, she smirked and playfully wiped the sauce from the corner of my mouth using her finger. I thought she would clean it up with a tissue, but she surprised me with a lingering look, silently telling me to lick it off her thumb.