Chapter 4 - Mi Vida

LOST IN TIME, FOUND IN LOVE

Search, puzzles unsolved
Anything to find my way
Closed, forgotten day

"WAIT a minute, did I miss something? You were just talking about wanting to kill me, and now you're asking me out on a date?"

Nakakagulat, ngunit hindi rin ako bobo para hindi maramdamang may iba siyang intensyon.

"Before you assume anything, let me clarify that I'm not suggesting a romantic date or anything like that." Napairap pa siya pagkatapos niya akong pasadahan ng tingin mula ulo hanggang paa. "I didn't have high hopes for you, to be honest. It's not that I wanted to give you a chance either. It was more about easing my own worries and doubts."

It took me a minute to catch on, but then I started to see what she was trying to say. "Ano'ng pinaplano mo?"

"I only wanted to verify if Amora has the identical tattoo to yours o basta tattoo na maaaring maging pruweba na minarkahan siya sa araw ng kanyang pagkakadukot. If that's the case, then I'll start believing you more."

Damn, that's quite a mountain to climb. Paano kung wala kaming makita? Kung ibabase ko lamang sa konstekto ng kanilang kwento, parang impossible. I figured I might as well go for it and run if it doesn't work out. There's nothing to lose, and I don't really need her trust anyway, do I?

"What if there's no tattoo that matches or whatever?"

"If we don't find the tattoo, you're done. You'll be in my bad books forever, even if you're not the gang boss."

Nagkatitigan kami saglit. There's really nothing to risk here, is there?

I put on a serious face and extended my hand for a shake. "Alright, let's do it then."

"I don't think a handshake is necessary," mataray niyang pambabalewa sa aking kamay. Bumaling ako sa box kung saan ko nakita ang iba't ibang mga sketches at paintings ng aking tattoo sa loob ng labing-apat na taon.

Binawi ko ang aking kamay, saka ko itinuro ang kahon. "Handshake or not, let's dive into the matter. Naiintriga ako sa mga sketches and paintings mo, they feel like a puzzle you've been working on for years, and meeting me was the missing piece."

Ang petsa ng huling kuwadro ay ang araw na nagising ako sa kanyang condo unit pagkatapos ng kaguluhan sa warehouse.

I stand corrected. My tattoo is a symbol of power that can only be seen sa mga naging leaders ng Los Deja Vu over the past century. It's a secret testament to the organization's power and prestige. If the higher-ups have tattoos with a mix of hell, lion, clock, and crown designs, then members get tattoos with a hell or lion that's linked to their pseudonym katulad ng nakita naming marka ng lalaking nagtangka sa buhay niya kamakailan lang.

I've never felt so uneasy about Los Deja Vu as I do now. In this era, Los Deja Vu is at an all-time high for danger, like the organization is a blazing inferno or hell that's engulfing everything, and it's stifling anyone who stands up to them.

"T-that's nothing," hindi makatinging sagot ng babae.

"Nothing?" I flipped through the unfinished paintings and sketches in the box. "The oldest sketch in the box was dated all the way back to 2001."