Chapter 40: A Journey Of Sacrifice

Nisha's Point of View

I sighed as Zayn and I arrived at my hiding place, deliberately not letting my brother drive us here to keep this location a secret from him. I felt Zayn's penetrating stares, like he was trying to read my thoughts. As we parked, I unbuckled my seatbelt and looked at the simple house in front of us. Despite needing to be brave, I couldn't shake the feeling of cowardice, knowing that this moment marked the beginning of everything.

With evening approaching, Zayn decided to leave his daughter Patricia at the Nexus, not wanting to put her in harm's way. For now, our safest refuge was my company. Breaking the silence, Zayn asked if I was certain about facing this alone. I looked into the emptiness and nodded resolutely.

"I have to. Zayn, thank you for today," I said, conveying my gratitude sincerely. Our eyes locked, understanding the outcome of my plans. We knew we had to prepare, and they had to accept that I would stand alone in the last battle.

"We will see each other soon. Please, if you need help, just contact me anytime. And don't worry, I won't say a word to your mother, even though I don't know your exact plan," he responded reassuringly, holding my hand and pulling me into a hug. Suppressing the urge to cry, I composed myself and embraced him back. He wasn't aware of my true plan—to go to the place where they are, without their knowledge. Zayn understood the danger, and I knew that only myself and FEP01 would remain silent, untraceable by anyone else.

He kissed my cheek before leaving the car and opening the door for me. With a smile, I gathered my belongings and stepped out of the car as well. I stood upright and shook hands with him.

"I'll see you soon," I said.

"Alright. I'll keep you posted about him, so you have updates on his whereabouts," he replied, tapping my shoulder. I didn't respond and watched him walk away. Once he was gone, he started his car's engine and drove away from my house. I waved at him and then entered my home.

Feeling determined, I couldn't wait any longer. I wanted to get started immediately. I planned to use the advanced map again, and tomorrow morning, I would head to the location as soon as possible.

I went straight to my office and turned on my computer. As before, I encrypted the code when accessing the map and typed in "Ephemeral Abyss." Swallowing nervously, I watched as the location loaded on the screen. Taking a deep breath, I clicked 'Explore' without hesitation.

As I entered the location using the advanced map, my surroundings started to change, and I found myself in the same ghost town as before, devoid of any other people. Feeling the wind chill, I was thankful that I had taken one of my jackets from our mansion before coming here. However, I knew I had to be cautious, as Shawn's residence was nearby, and it wouldn't be safe for me to approach.

Resisting the temptation to go towards Shawn's place, I convinced myself to take a different direction, still staying relatively close. The dried leaves under my feet rustled, creating a sound that could potentially give away my presence. As the evening approached, I could hear the wind blowing and the faint sounds of insects, typical of this environment.

I eventually came across a small, heavily damaged house with no door. It appeared to be abandoned for a long time. Despite the inhospitable conditions, I decided to enter the house since it provided some shelter. The moment I stepped inside, I was greeted by a bed covered in dirt and dust, causing me to cough at the unpleasant smell. It was evident that no one had lived here for at least a decade.

I glanced around, noticing the damaged walls made of wood. The place seemed completely deserted, and I wondered about its past, although it wasn't my primary concern at the moment. This dilapidated house presented a perfect opportunity for me to use as a temporary base of operations for tomorrow's mission.