Chapter 3: Unveiling the Veil: Pursuit of Truth and Trust

Nisha's Point of View

Shawn and I locked eyes in a tense stare. I set down the book I had been reading, and Shawn took my hand, clearly anxious. I couldn't help but worry about what was going on in his head. However, something about the brochure I had been reading didn't sit right with me. There seemed to be something missing or off about it.

"We need to find Nick as quickly as possible. He's the only one who can help us. We'll start tomorrow, searching for the location where they appeared in my dream. My brother needs my help urgently, but I haven't had any dreams about him since," I stated.

"We'll support you. We'll get through this together. Just have faith in me," he said, trying to calm me down. I took a deep breath and nodded in response.

Glancing at the clock to check the time, I saw it was early in the morning. I immediately stood up, and Shawn's eyes followed me. As I stared into space, I felt a sense of unease. Was Nick deliberately showing me these dreams? Why would he do that?

I sighed and gave Shawn a serious look, and he returned it, trying to figure out what was going on in my head.

"I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing these strange dreams. But there's something peculiar about this place that I can't quite grasp. I can't read people's minds or hear their thoughts while I'm asleep. Nick has done something, and I want to know what it is. I don't know what our relationship is, but one thing is certain: he's extremely dangerous, and I'm not sure if he's an ally or an enemy," I explained. He listened attentively and nodded without saying anything.

"I'm going to wake everyone up. Make sure they are ready. We need to track him down. There's something off about all of this, don't you feel it? People used to look at us differently. And now, I'm not as sensitive to them as I used to be," he said with excitement. Is my mind truly becoming dull, or am I simply overlooking something?

Shawn approached me and gave me a kiss on the cheek before leaving to wake up our friends in the other room. Due to my frailty, I remained seated on the bed. Nick's actions had left a lasting impact on me. I couldn't understand what he was doing or why he had to poison me to prevent Fentanyl from harming my body. Mr. Shon's book did not instill confidence in me either. Some parts seemed incongruent and incorrect.

I tried to recall what they said about Nick's betrayal. Is he a traitor? What do they mean by that? They are enigmatic, and I'm not sure how I feel about them. I'm not sure where to start looking for Nick, but I'll do whatever it takes to find him.

It reminded me of my brother. He never came back to see me after that dream. That dream won't happen for another two days, and I haven't heard anything about our meeting. It was not a pleasant dream. He's in a dangerous situation and needs my help, but I believe he can handle himself, even though he's trying to hide and avoid the crisis he's facing.

As the door opened, I saw Shawn returning. Both he and I were still not fully dressed, while Rebecca, Nathalie, Dylan, and Christopher were ready. Nathalie and Rebecca were wearing shorts and combat boots. Nathalie's curls were a mess, while Rebecca's hair was neatly styled. And I'm certain the two of them wouldn't go a day without wearing lipstick. They were dressed in polo shirts and slacks, ready for battle, while I was still here, contemplating everything.

"Why aren't you getting ready yet, Nisha? Let's get going," Shawn urged me. Despite my frailty, I tried my best to keep up with him. I suited up and organized our gear. With our journey ahead, I knew we'd have to find another place to stay. We had a long day ahead. I checked my watch and noticed it was only four o'clock in the morning.

After I had everything in order, I turned to everyone. They nodded in unison, and I followed them out of the room, rolling my eyes at their enthusiasm. I took a deep breath before leading them out to execute our plan. As we walked through the hallway, the atmosphere felt strangely calm. We seemed to be the only ones moving, and at any moment, I felt as if we were going to be attacked by unknown forces. Despite this, I didn't feel threatened. The other guests of Byts Hotel were still asleep, creating a peaceful environment.

As we walked into the hotel lobby, I noticed curious glances from the people around us. My hairs stood on end, and I felt an odd chill. Why were they all staring at us? I hoped that look didn't signify anything negative.

"Let's proceed," Shawn said with a slightly unnerving tone. I was so preoccupied that I hadn't even noticed their presence. Since I started dreaming about Nick, my mind hasn't been entirely my own. But for a brief moment, I forgot about that and followed Shawn.

"How should we begin?" Rebecca asked when we came to a stop.

"We'll need to find someone and ask about the nearby forest. That'll be our starting point," I suggested, and they all agreed right away. I took the initiative to approach a man who was coming towards us. I felt uneasy and restless as he approached. When he stood in front of us, I addressed him.

"Good morning, sir. Is there something I can ask you about?" I started with a polite tone. He looked at me and then at Shawn, who was standing just behind me. I don't know why, but his gaze made me feel uneasy. He had long hair and a well-proportioned nose, dark lips, and round eyes. He was dressed neatly in a t-shirt and shorts made of soft fabric, wearing slippers. He seemed physically fit and prepared when he approached. His intense stare made me feel uncomfortable.

"What do you want?" His response caught me off guard. His voice sounded brave, as if he was ready for a fight, but I sensed a calmness about him. I cleared my throat before answering.

"Do you know of any nearby forests?" I inquired directly. Feeling Shawn's hand on my shoulder, I relaxed a little. This is getting out of hand. What's wrong with me?

"Just keep going straight. You'll find the right street, and all you have to do now is follow it. Then, you'll come across a large, opulent academy with a view of the forest behind it," he said, pointing us in the right direction. I took a deep breath in. He walked past us without saying anything else. As he walked away, I was about to say thank you.

"Be careful. You're not safe no matter where you go. Find him, and he'll be able to help you," he said something mysteriously, leaving me feeling uneasy. What did he mean? Does he know something

"Don't worry about it. We must follow his directions and locate Nick," Nathalie abruptly urged, snapping me back to reality. I sat up straight and gave them a quick nod, choosing to ignore the man's cryptic words.

We continued walking in silence. Shawn was behind me, while the others were in front, and I couldn't stop staring at him. I glanced at my partner, who was walking quietly beside me. I stopped briefly to coordinate our steps, trying to observe him closely. It was evident that he was deep in thought. I couldn't hold back any longer and immediately questioned him.

"Are you all right?" Before he looked at me, he blinked twice. There was no smile on his face, indicating that he was serious and had discovered something unusual.

"Would you mind sharing what's bothering you?" I asked, feeling anxious. Before he responded, I noticed him swallow, adding to my unease.

"Right now, it feels like they know something about us. They were aware of our impending arrival from the beginning. I can't be certain, but I have a gut feeling that we're in danger, and I hate to say it, but I don't trust your brother," he replied honestly, leaving me stunned.

I'm not sure, but I must admit, he's right. I don't trust my brother either. There's something off about this place and its inhabitants, and that's why we're here. I won't stop until the truth is revealed because I promise myself, no matter what happens, I'm going to win this battle.