Chapter 15: Training Trials

Nisha's Point of View

"Prepare yourself. FE-R001 will assist you with self-training. I'll respond to your queries once again tomorrow. It's still up to me to take action. I'm sorry, but I have to leave," my brother murmured, and then he vanished in front of us.

I gasped, feeling overwhelmed and without answers, but I had a sense that the day would come when everything would be revealed. For now, I decided to put my faith in my brother.

We shifted our gaze to the elderly gentleman who was seated on a sofa. His eyes conveyed an expression that I couldn't quite comprehend as he gazed at us.

"Are you unwilling to train yourself?" He inquired, his tone cold and emotionless.

"Just get a head start. We'll be right behind you in a moment," I responded, trying to mask my uncertainty.

He stood up, giving a nonchalant shrug. Without uttering another word, he adjusted his professional attire and turned around. Flinging the door wide open, he spoke a few cryptic words before vanishing from view.

"All you have to do is go to the Field. The FE-R001 was present," were his final instructions.

Once the two of them had departed, silence enveloped us. I wasn't sure what to say; his words had a profound and lasting impact on us.

"They're really..." Rebecca whispered softly to me. She was undoubtedly shocked and couldn't complete what she was about to say.

As for me, I'll admit that I have no idea what to call them. They're not human, yet they're not like the puppets we've seen before. They're quite distinct. I am aware of the differences between them and us. It's still a mystery to me how my brother came to be the creator of Fentynol. I thought he was the one who created Fenty Poison? I glanced at Shawn, who was still hunched over, and then remembered Mr. Shione's book. I took a deep breath and set it aside since I wasn't sure whether I was going to share my thoughts.

"Shawn," I addressed him in a soft tone, but he didn't move. I clutched onto him and stared at him, my heart constricting at the sight of his tears. I never wanted to see someone important to me in such pain. I didn't want anything to happen to them. So, I guess I'd rather be the one hurt. Even though his tears seemed to come from nowhere, it still hurt me deeply to see him in such distress.

Shawn held me tightly as he wept. All I could hear was his heavy breathing and feel the overwhelming sadness he was experiencing. Our colleague understood how Shawn felt, so all they could do was be silent and empathize with his emotions. We couldn't do much to console him or bring back what was lost. I knew he was tormented by the pain of loss, and it was hard to accept, but that's the reality of life.

My mind wandered to my past, to the time when Daddy Truce had abused me, and how it taught me to be strong and independent on the inside. It felt like a part of me had died back then, but it was a lesson I had to endure. And now, I wondered when I would finally hear the words of my biological father.

Life had dealt us all with different hardships, and the reasons behind people's actions were sometimes beyond our understanding. But amidst it all, we tried to stay strong and persevere, hoping that someday things would make sense and the wounds would heal.