Chapter 41: Ephemeral's Secrets

Nisha's Point of View

Foster invited me to follow him to the yacht, and I did so quietly, carrying my unending questions about his knowledge of Ephemeral. How did he know how to get there? Had he lived there before? As the thoughts swirled in my mind, I decided it didn't matter anymore; all that mattered was his help in getting me to my destination.

As we reached the yacht, I hugged myself to ward off the cold sea breeze. It wasn't safe to travel at this hour, but I had no choice. The urgency of my plans pushed me forward, and I couldn't afford any further delays.

Foster directed me to a room while he remained in the wheelhouse, handling the transportation. I followed his instructions in silence, grateful for his assistance. Inside the room, the soft, cream-colored walls exuded tranquility and comfort, providing a sense of peace amid the uncertainty of my journey. Despite the limited space, it felt like a sanctuary where I could reflect, dream, and let my thoughts wander freely.

The one-day travel on this yacht gave me a much-needed respite, even though I knew it wouldn't last long. I understood that I had to take advantage of this moment to gather courage for the challenges that awaited me in Ephemeral.

Inside the room, there was a simple bed with only one pillow, but it brought me a sense of calm knowing I could rest there while waiting for our destination. As I looked around, I noticed a single image on the wall, depicting an ocean with a man gazing at it. Despite not fully understanding its meaning, I shrugged it off, deciding it wasn't relevant to my current situation. The room had nothing else of note, and I found it strange that there was no restroom on board.

Approaching the bed, I sat down, finding the foam reasonably comfortable. I set my belongings aside and took out one of my tablets, feeling thankful for my prior preparations. I had taken a screenshot of the place I needed to go, and if the opportunity arose, I planned to ask Foster for more information. However, when I attempted to access the app where I could monitor my family through FEP01, I discovered that the robot had turned off the system, likely following my usual instructions to shut down at night. Although I understood the reason, I couldn't help but feel a sense of disappointment.

I sighed heavily, deciding to put the tablet away and lie down on the bed. As the yacht began to move, indicating our departure, I knew that this journey was now underway. With my eyes closed, I sought to rest, as I hadn't slept yet and knew this was a crucial opportunity for me to prepare for what lay ahead.

»

I was jolted awake by a knock on the door, realizing that I had locked it earlier. Slowly sitting up, I gathered myself and fixed my appearance. The knocking ceased, and I glanced at my wristwatch to find that it was already midnight. My tablet and belongings were scattered on the bed, reminding me that I hadn't packed them in my bag.

Lazily getting up, I walked to the door and opened it to find Foster waiting there. He was still wearing his pajamas, seemingly unfazed by his appearance. He held a tray of food, and the enticing aroma made my stomach growl. There was meat, salad, and water on the tray.

"This is not included in your payment," he mentioned as he handed me the tray. I gladly accepted it and offered him a smile of gratitude.

"Thank you, but where did you get these?" I asked, curious about the source of the food.

"Eat it, and if you don't trust me, just throw it away. I noticed that you didn't bring anything without searching the place for supplies. I'll be in the wheelhouse if you need anything," he replied before turning around to return to his position. His words surprised me, not expecting him to be so understanding.

I brushed aside the strange feeling and returned to my room, starting to eat the food he had provided. The meal was delicious, and it lifted my spirits, giving me the energy I needed for the journey ahead.