Chapter 4: Mysteries in the Academy

When we arrived at the enormous school the gentleman was talking about, we all stared at each other. It was encircled by massive trees and had a tall black gate. I didn't find it unusual, as the picture looked fresh and clean, and I could still appreciate its beauty.

Without hesitation, I approached the fence. The school was excessively large; I couldn't even see all the buildings inside. The City of Ottawa, however, was still visible from where we stood. Though it wasn't my main objective.

As I got closer to the gate, I noticed an image on its side. At first, it seemed like a warning, but upon closer inspection, it turned out to be just a small piece of information about the institution. The others followed me, and we silently read the contents of the photo, which was just a paragraph, making it easy to read.

According to the information, the institution had a huge sensory gym, spacious classrooms, an auditorium, a gymnasium, an outdoor sports court, a full soccer field, and a playground with a climbing structure. However, it didn't say anything about the students, which struck us as weird.

"How are we going to get into the woods?" Rebecca asked, and as I turned my head towards her, the others mirrored my curiosity. Just then, to our surprise, the gate unexpectedly opened. We stood there, dumbfounded, waiting to see what would happen next. Suddenly, a white car appeared, catching our attention.

"You didn't notice, did you? We are going to win, especially the former man. He doesn't seem wealthy, and his interactions with us are cold and secretive," Nathalie whispered something that we overheard. I didn't say anything and continued deep in thought.

With a frown, I replied, "There's another way for us to get to the forest." They glanced at me, and I remained stoic.

"How can you say that?" Christopher inquired.

I sighed and gave them a serious look.

"I trust my instincts," I said.

"But can we be sure they'll let us in?" Shawn questioned.

"We won't do it right away. First, let's observe the students when they arrive at the academy," I suggested. They all agreed, and we positioned ourselves on one side, hidden under a tree, watching the gate without showing ourselves. Each time the gate opened, cars would exit, but we couldn't spot any students leaving the building or walking around.

Shawn, standing beside me, put his arms around me, trying to calm me down. I could tell he was worried, but I smiled and reassured him that everything was alright. Just then, a little ball hit my leg, and as I was about to say something, I heard a child's voice, and we both turned to look.

"It's my ball!" the child yelled, running towards us. He appeared to be around eight years old, with cemented hair, thin lips, narrow eyes, and a pointed nose. He wore blue pants, a white shirt, and black shoes with white socks inside.

I picked up the ball as he stood in front of us. I looked at Shawn, and he nodded, indicating that this could be an opportunity for questioning the child.

"Hey, child," I said, and he stopped smiling, giving me a serious look. His gaze made me feel oddly nervous. Why was I feeling intimidated by a child?

"Are you Nisha?" he asked, surprising even Nathalie, who gasped. A shiver ran down my spine, and I remembered Shawn's voice encouraging me to stand my ground.