Chapter 18: Unleashing the Monster Within

Nisha's Point of View

"Yes, you can join them in training right now," the man stated firmly.

As he pressed a red button against the wall, a loud siren blared, and the people lying down began to rise slowly. I couldn't determine their exact number as the beds were closely packed in this huge room.

"Do they number in the tens of thousands?" I inquired, observing them sitting on their beds, staring blankly.

"No, no, no. Others perished due to their inability to afford the medications Nick had created for them," he responded.

"Wasn't it the Fentynol that made them better?" I inquired once more.

"Obviously, it isn't the case. They've already botched the experiment, so they've begun to devour their intestines, prompting Nick to create Fenty, a new vaccination," the man explained.

"Wasn't Fenty supposed to be poisonous?" Shawn asked, drawing the man's gaze to him.

"Fenty has a plethora of repercussions. If you take Fenty, it can also reveal the reality via your eyes. Nick is a force to be reckoned with," the man added, directing his words towards Shawn with a determined look.

"You didn't succeed in the experiment, but how did Nick assist you when you were older than him?" Dylan inquired with skepticism in his voice. I decided to remain silent for the time being, curious to hear the man's response.

"Yes. Mr. Santiago is in charge of us and keeps us in check. We were unable to contain ourselves prior to that. We were so irrational that we wanted to slaughter them mercilessly. I've lived here for about a decade as well, and it all started when Nick was adopted," the man clarified, shedding some light on their past experiences.

"What is the codename for you?" Nathalie inquired.

"You may refer to me as FE-R008," the man replied.

"Can you tell me when we'll start our training?" Shawn appeared out of nowhere and inquired. I observed him closely, noticing his deep meditation and agitation. He was dressed simply in black slacks and a black tight shirt, with unruly and unkempt hair. I felt concerned for him, knowing he was going through something, and I worried that I might not be able to help him.

As the conversation continued, I kept an eye on Shawn, hoping to find an opportunity to talk to him and offer my support. The atmosphere in the room was tense, with the revelation of the experimental subjects and the mysteries surrounding Nick. Yet, we had no choice but to continue with our training, uncertain of what lies ahead.

"We'll get started right away. Return to your practice area. I'll start by assisting them," said the man.

We made our way back to the training grounds, where we were greeted by two men dressed in black carrying a large amount of equipment. They seemed to be responsible for our training attire.

"One up yourself in line," a voice commanded, and we complied without a word. The atmosphere was chilly, and we were all deep in thought. The power of Mr. Santiago's puppets were evident, yet we couldn't understand why they hadn't managed to defeat Mr. NO. It raised questions about Mr. NO's true abilities and the challenges we were about to face in this mysterious journey.