Chapter 8: Unveiling Shadows: Pursuit of Answers

Nisha's Point of View

A slight pat on the cheek jolted me awake. I gently opened my eyes to see who had woken me up. My body felt exhausted from the events of the previous night, both physically and mentally overworked.

As I opened my eyes, I was surprised to find Shawn seated on our bed. I slowly stood up, still feeling puzzled, and looked at him questioningly.

"Why?" I inquired quickly.

He looked serious as he replied, "You need to check something out there."

Guiding me towards the window, he took down the white curtain and waited for me to join him. Uncertain about what I was going to see, I hesitated for a moment. The other people in the room were watching me, and their eyes seemed to convey that they wanted me to look outside and discover what was happening.

Taking a deep breath, I cautiously approached the window and peered outside. What I saw made me instantly step back in shock. In the middle of the field, there were people dressed as ninjas - a vast gathering of them, seemingly numbering in the thousands. They appeared to be trainees, undergoing some sort of rigorous training. Each of them held my attention for a moment as I swallowed hard, trying to process the sight before me.

"I awoke early because I needed to go to the bathroom, so I went outdoors. They were there at five a.m., just standing and waiting for someone," Shawn spoke up in the midst of the quietness.

"We need to learn more about the area," I said quietly, facing them with a strong expression.

"Prepare yourself. We're heading out tonight. Nothing will happen if we simply ignore the question we've been given," I informed them. They started moving after nodding.

I looked out once more and saw a man standing in front of a large group of black folks. He appeared to be the group's leader. The man in front of them abruptly turned his head to me as he stared at them. It took us a minute to gaze at each other, and I took a step back. He was the first to avoid the others and face them.

I inhaled deeply and returned to my bed. Shawn was doing the same, and I noticed a dress on top of it. With a puzzled expression on his face, he looked at me as I sat in the bed. Perhaps he was curious about my strategy.

"I need to inquire about Nick. They're not dressed the same as they are here, but I believe they know the guy we're looking for when we come to this location," I stated. He simply nodded and began to dress without saying anything. I just let him go and started to get ready myself.

I stood in front of a giant mirror in the washroom, examining my entire physique. I locked my gaze on myself and remembered what the man had said to me the day before. Someone misled me, and I let that person deceive me, but I have no idea who he is referring to.

"Take off the artificial eyes," said a voice I didn't recognize.

When I turned around, all I saw was the closed door. There was no one around to hear a voice. I couldn't fathom who or what it could have been.

Returning my gaze to the mirror, I noticed my eyes looked normal, as if they were no longer the synthetic ones I had before. But I could sense that there was a human vision behind those eyes, one that could penetrate the depths of my mind and memories.