♡ | 0 - Prologue | ♡

The first chapter of this story will be puplished on: 13/8/23

Y/n didn't know much about her mother.

Whilst she had lived, M/n L/n was the town seamstress; a hard working and diligent woman. She had been stern, but loving... Much more loving than any other adults little Y/n had ever met. She could remember the feel of her warm arms on a winters night, sheilding her from all that was bad in the world– shielding her from her drunken father.

Then, one night, the warm arms that held her world together grew cold, and that little world of hers fell apart at the seams.

(5 years later)

"I have called this emergency meeting to inform you of a new hashira joining our ranks." Kagaya Ubayashiki's soft voice rung out clearly across the clearing. Before him knelt the hashira; 8 adult swordsmen kneeling at the feet of their feeble master, their eyes shimmering with respect. Y/n fiddled with her fingers behind her back, refusing the let her nerves show on her face.

"Everyone, please meet Y/n L/n, the mirror hashira."

Scoffs of disbelief echoed from where the hashira were kneeling. A man in a flame patterned haori shook his head at the ground, and a heavily scarred man stood up from the crowd to yell in protest.

"That's a child! She can't possibly be a hashira?! Forgive me master, but this is absurd!"

"Do not argue with the master, Shinazugawa." A booming voice sounded from the lips of a giant man, whom Y/n recognised as the stone pillar. During her brief time in the company of the demon slayers as a child, she was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the man that was Gyomei Himejima. Still, seeing him up close was... Well, he was much larger than she remembered.

Kagaya smiled down upon his children. "You are correct Sanemi, she is a child. But I assure you, Y/n L/n is more than ready to become a hashira. She has been training since she was only 9 years old, and even before that she faced trials that would make even a hashira shiver." The master shot a knowing, milky-eyed glance down at Shinobu before turning to Y/n and placing a frail hand on her shoulder. "She is strong."

Murmurs of curiosity filled the clearing.

"Well, I trust the master's judgement!" A sickly-sweet voice that could only belong to Kanroji Mitsuri split through the whispers. "Plus, she's so adorable! Look at those eyes, so cute!"

Y/n stared down at Shinobu. She looked silently back, but didn't smile. After all, it had been months since the two had last met... Y/n doubted that Shinobu was prepared to see her again yet.

"Now then, let us continue on with the meeting." Kagaya motioned Y/n back into the building behind, and she was lead inside by his wife Amane. As she walked away she heard a snippet of the master's words to the other hashira.

"As you know, mist hashira Muichiro Tokito could not attend.. meeting... an urgent.... ..." The door shut behind her, and the master's words were lost to the wind.

All characters in this fic (other than Y/n) are owned by Koyoharu Gotouge.

553 words