♡ | 36 - Aftermath | ♡

The next thing Y/N knew, she was lying face down in the bloody gravel.

Every nerve in her body was screaming in agony, the very act of breathing hurt so bad that it made her nauseous. Swimming thoughts spiraled like a whirlpool inside her head, a dizzying sense of relief washing over her... Despite being barely conscious, the mirror hashira still felt golden triumph flowing through her exhausted veins.

We did it... We killed an upper rank!...

....

Through her spinning vision, she could see Muichiro. He was in a similar position to her, spread out across the ground, panting and bleeding. He was crawling towards her with a steely glint in his eyes, determination shining through the fatigue as he used up the last of his strength.

"Just a little further..." Muichiro grunted to himself, dragging his elbows through the rough gravel until small beads of blood began to gather amongst the scrapes. Still, it was worth it; eventually, the pair manages to meet in the middle of the battlefield.

The moment the mist hashira was within her reach, Y/n began patting him down for injuries. A laceration on his arm was leaking blood on his uniform, and she pressed down on it with shaky hands to stop the bleeding. Despite her efforts, Y/n couldn't stop the breath rattling in her chest as her vision grew weaker.

You have... to protect him.. Make sure.. he survives...

Determination surged through her, and she bit down on her lip. Come on Y/n... Fight it... don't you dare pass out... The next few minutes are critical!

"Hey.." Muichiro mumbled, smiling weakly up at her. His arms shook gently as he grabbed hold of her sleeve, tugging on it like a child clinging helplessly to his mother.

"Thank you, thank you for helping me like this, sorry I can't stop the bleeding myself. You must be in pain, using your remaining strength to save me." His voice was soft and his tone was genuine as he spoke. Y/n sighed and shook her head.

"No, no. You saved my ass back there Mui, so don't you dare apologise."

The mirror hashira couldn't help but gulp down a pang of guilt. Something had happened to Muichiro out on the battlefield; something she had been dreading for a long time...

***

"Y/N, we have to combine our techniques! Remember your training, don't give up just yet!"

Upper moon 4 Tsukimono smirked at the mist hashira's cry of determination. Even though the demon-girl's body had been destroyed, the main body of the demon still remained... It remained beneath the surface of the village, lurking underground.

"Y/N, ON 3!" Muichiro yelled. The mirror hashira nodded, sucking in a breath, feeling her lungs expand torturously; before finally, she felt her muscles heat up.

"1... 2..."

Muichiro squeezed his eyes shut and copied Y/n, preparing himself for what they were about to do. Combining two techniques is looked down upon by the demon slayer corps, since its almost impossible for a person's body to survive the pressure. Organs rupturing, shock, tachycardia, arteries exploding, anaphylaxis... These were all possible side effects of pushing oneself beyond ones physical limitations.

And yet, the two teenage hashira stood fast, preparing to almost kill themselves to be rid of this demon.

"MIRROR BREATHING-"

"MIST BREATHING-"

"SPECIAL COMBINATION FORM: CLOUDY HAZE OF ILLUSIONARY MIRRORS!"

As they struck the earth beneath them, a massive cavity revealed the main body of the demon. After fighting for hours, they were finally within striking range of the REAL upper moon 4. Together, they were capable of finishing it off.