♡ | 32 - Grieving | ♡

A/N: HELLOO! I'm back from my week long break as promised. I'm now a year older... I got a Mitsuri funko pop from my aunt as a birthday gift 😭💞 I'm pretty sure she's seen demon slayer so she has good taste!

I hope you enioy this chapter!

Tw: Grief
...

You're right Y/n, my brother is a sensitive subject.

"I just... I don't like to think about it."

Muichiro buried his head into her neck, trying to keep his breathing level. This was all too much for him to take at once, the memories of his brother had been suppressed for so long that bringing them to light made him feel ill.

I can't think about it.. It hurts..

"Please... Just stay with me.." He whimpered softly. Physical pain shot through him at the memories, they were breaking him down internally as they fought there way back to the surface of his mind.

"I don't want to remember.." He mentally protested, squeezing his eyes shut so tight that coloured specks popped up inside the blackness of his vision.

"Okay... it's okay..." Y/n began rocking back and forth, rubbing small circles on his back. "Shhh... everything is going to be okay... I'm right here..."

She paused for a moment.

"I- I know remembering him is hard... but you can't heal unless you accept what happened..." She murmured, pulling his hair out of his face. She hated making him think about it- hurting him like this made her stomach twist. But if he didn't accept these memories... would he ever really be happy?

"I know.. You're right.."

Muichiro suddenly stopped crying. The picture of his brother was staring at him from the altar table; it was as if he was looking directly into a mirror. Everything about them looked the same, from their hair and eye colour to their build and stature.

For some reason, examining his brother's face brought Muichiro an odd sense of tranquillity.

I'm going to be okay... I have to be okay. Yuichiro would never forgive me if I keep cowering from my memories like this. He told himself, rubbing the tears from his shining blue eyes.

Muichiro's arms tightened around Y/n's waist, a huge sigh escaping his lips as he slumped into her arms.

"Thank you, for everything.." He whispered. "I couldn't have come here on my own." In response, Y/n kissed him on the forehead.

"You don't need to thank me... I love you so much, Mui. So did your parents. So did..." She read the name beneath his twin's photo. "...Yuichiro."

Y/n rubbed his back comfortingly, trying not to let her own sadness overwhelm her.

You don't deserve to hurt like this. Nobody does, but especially not you.

Blinking once more at Yuichiro's photo, Muichiro mustered up some more courage.

"He was... special.."

He looked up at Y/n again for reassurance; talking about Yuichiro out loud felt strange.

"He was a kind person.."

Surprisingly, a trace of a smile passed over his face and the corner of his mouth lifted slightly.

"He was always looking out for me, even though we were the same age. My brother was a good person... A strong person."

Muichiro felt so warm in Y/n's arms, her embrace was comforting him just enough for him to compose himself.

"He sounds a lot like you.." Y/n ran her fingers through his hair, feeling the long dark strands on her fingertips. Warmly, she looked down at him.

"They would be so proud of you, Mui. So, so proud. Nobody could wish for a better son or brother. You're such an amazing person."

A moment of silence passed between them.

This girl is the only thing keeping me going right now... Muichiro thought without missing a beat.

"I... I don't deserve you. I'm not as good as you think I am. I'm cold and rude, that's why all the other demon slayers are scared of me."

Muichiro's gaze saddened and his voice grew weaker again.

"I'm not worthy of you.."

There was another silent moment.

"I don't know... I just want to love you, to make you happy, to make you smile.. I don't want you to see me hurt like this, it's pathetic."

Something shattered inside of Y/n at his words.

"Mui... You deserve the world. You're worthy of the best life that god has to offer, and its horrible that you never got that. But please.." She took both his hands in hers and held them to her chest.

"Never, ever think so poorly of yourself! If I wasn't able to hold you like this, through thick and thin, I wouldn't be doing my job. I trust you... and I think you trust me. That's why we work. Because... because we can be vulnerable!" She kissed his hands and pulled him close.

"Never be ashamed to grieve, Muichiro. Not with me."

A final moment of silence came between them before Muichiro finally understood what she was talking about.

Oh right... She's grieving aswell. Her family is just as dead as mine, and yet here she is holding me whilst I cry. What am I thinking, trying to act all tough... If anyone was going to be able to see through that facade, it would be her.

His expression changed, a light glimmering in his eye.

"I trust you, Y/n. Thank you for being here with me, I know its not the most cheerful way to spend our evening."

Muichiro smiled at her. Something about the expression was full of genuinity, despite the situation.

"I feel bad now after getting so worked up, I completely forgot that talking about this stuff can't be easy for you either."

"Please don't feel bad, Mui!" Y/n smiled warmly and kissed him on the cheek. "I'm here for you, especially on days like this. I'm never going to leave you, not even when you're at your lowest."

With a jolt, Muichiro realised just how close they were. Some other time he might have become flustered, but now he was more greatful than embarrassed by her touch.

"I hate to repeat myself but... Thank you, Y/n. You make me feel comfortable, I feel safe with you." He said, his voice getting quieter as he talked, because his face was getting a little pink. The girl simply smiled into his hair.

"I'm glad..."

It felt like such an honour to have him trust her like this. If his mother was still here... Y/n really hoped that she would like her. His father too! They must have both been amazing; nothing other than angels could have raised a boy like this.

Her heart fluttered. The candles at the altar flickered, warming their faces.

"I want to marry you one day." Muichiro blurted out.

"I love you, so.. So much, that I want to marry you so that.. So that one day we can spend the rest of our lives together..." His voice was so quiet, barely more than a whisper. Yet every word he said hit Y/n like a truck, and her heart leapt inside her chest.

M-MARRY ME?

She turned pink and jerked her head back from him, her mouth hanging open with shock.

Y/n tried to speak, but she couldn't get any words out. Her throat was so dry... She felt like she was falling through a never ending abyss, her stomach being turned over and over...

All she could do was stare at him in response.

...

A/N: This chapter was literally HELL to edit, I hate myself for writing angst but it's for the plot smh

Chapter 33 will be published on: 5/10/23

1290 words