Chapter 143: Lisa Is Right Here

Several minutes later, Jisoo returned gasping with blood on her face. She rushed into the grass where Jennie hid, but Jennie was gone.

"Mrs. Manoban?" Jisoo frowned. "Jennie?"

Her hushed voice drifted in the wind, and in the distance, the riverway of Tonlé Sap Lake was quiet and dark.

No one responded to her.

There was only a cell phone left in the grass, lying there quietly.

I was kidnapped. This was her first thought when she awoke.

Now she was placed on the ground of a room. This room was dark and almost had no light in it, and the air was damp, salty, and was full of the musty smell of decay.

She tried to move, but her hands were tied behind her back, and her legs were bound tightly as well.

For a few seconds, her brain failed to work, when suddenly there was a sound of conversation outside the door, but she didn't know the language they used.

Jennie took a deep breath, forced herself to calm down, and then looked around.

This was a log cabin very common in Cambodia. It was empty and had nothing in it. A kerosene lamp hung overhead, and the feeble kerosene light was almost nonexistent. There were moths attached to the lampshade, throwing a vast shadow that looked eerie.

Just when Jennie was wondering who kidnapped her, with a sudden bang, the door was pushed open from the outside.

It was two creepy-looking and dark-skinned men. Jennie couldn't help moving back. Her back was against the wooden wall, and her clear eyes watched them warily. When she saw that they were carrying a dead snake whose skin had been stripped, she choked back the surge in her stomach and clenched her teeth to stop the cry of panic.

One of the men carried that snake, and the other pudgy man held a bad quality gun. The latter took a look at her, grinned, and turned to talk with the man carrying the snake.

They spoke Cambodian, and Jennie couldn't understand what they were talking about, but looking at their creepy smiles, Jennie leaned firmly against the wall and couldn't help panicking.

Suddenly, the pudgy man came up to her and squatted down in front of her. He stared at her and reached out to touch her face with his fat, dirty hand.

Jennie immediately moved her head to dodge his touch.

The pudgy man cursed in Cambodian and was about to slap her. Just one second before his hand reached her face, a stooped woman of sixty or seventy suddenly came into the room. The old woman coughed, and the two men immediately stood up and glanced back at her. Although they didn't seem to respect that woman, they still took a step back and stopped harassing Jennie.

The old woman was holding a bucket in her hand when she came in. She stared at Jennie for a moment, then went up to her, got some water out of the bucket, and spilled it on Jennie's face. Under Jennie's confused stare, the old woman rubbed her face hard with her hands until the dust and dirt on her face were washed off. She looked at Jennie carefully for a while and then said a word to her.

She still used Cambodian.

Jennie thought they might be those who kidnapped Lisa. If they discovered that she was Korean, she might face more danger, so she pursed her mouth, shrunk her neck as if in fear and shook her head, showing that she didn't understand what the old woman was talking about.

The old woman paused and asked her in heavily accented Korean, "Are you... Ko... rean?"

Jennie still shook her head blankly. Her mouth was not gagged, and she could speak, but she pointed to her mouth, motioning that she was mute.