Chapter 1 - Like Lead

Crystalline. That was the only word to describe the energy Cassia had felt building up. Sharp, smooth, and absolutely beautiful, but it was uncut, and she didn't know how much longer it would last under the pressure. Eventually, the earth always released its power, and it could be a glittering treasure or a devastating disaster.

She held her wand steady in her hand as the sun glimmered at its zenith and birds twittered overhead, like nature itself urged her onward. Glints of blue flickered from her wand's tip. Although the Ancient Magic lived in her, she had yet to wield it on command, to subject it to her control. And if no one would teach her how, she would learn it on her own. She was good at that sort of thing.

She shifted her feet, focusing her intent on pulling that energy from her core and breathing bright, vivid life into it, life that could heal unseen wounds and bring a village from the brink of death. That was her ultimate goal; that was what she truly meant for it. She had already stepped too far into the shadows, and the memory felt like a millstone in her gut, making the energy waver.

Never again, she had promised herself. And she meant it this time.

Shaking her head free of dark thoughts, she breathed deeply, watching the blue reappear, captivating her. Almost whispering to her.

Crunch.

She whirled around, the magic fading away. A broad-shouldered boy leaned against a tree, one hand folded at his side, an apple in the other. He raised an eyebrow at her.

"Looking to get in trouble, are you?" He said, swallowing.

Cassia frowned, tucking her wand away. She stepped toward him, took the apple from his hand, and had a bite herself before pushing it back to him. She was glad to see him eating something.

"It's not like this is the first time I've used magic this summer. And the Ministry hasn't said anything yet. Bunch of dolts. They probably still think I'm home-schooled," Cassia said.

Sebastian sank to the ground, shaking his head. "I meant your nan."

Cassia groaned, joining him amid the scrub grass and wildflowers. He had an excellent point. 'Well, I hope I can count on you not to tell her."

"Of course, you can. I'm very good at keeping secrets."

She scoffed. "Sometimes!"

After the horrific events in the Feldcroft catacombs just months ago, Sebastian had been left with nowhere to go, not if he wanted to escape his demons. Cassia's family had been happy to take him in, although they, like many others, were under the impression that Solomon Sallow had died in his sleep. The truth was a secret they both had no choice but to be very good at keeping.

Over the summer, Cassia had watched her friend wilt into little more than a husk. Dark circles hung under his eyes, his untidy hair fell below his chin, and he had become raggedly thin. At night, she heard him pacing the floor above her. During the day, he spent most of his time sitting quietly, reading, thinking, or simply staring until someone interrupted him. For him to willingly come outside gave Cassia hope that he was feeling better, even if only for a moment.

"Don't worry, I won't say a thing to her," he promised.

"Good, I don't need another lecture."

She stretched and fell backward, looking up at the gray clouds rolling in, pushed by a salty breeze from the sea. An insect hummed nearby, and gulls called in the distance.

"I still have chores to do," Cassia moaned.

"I've already done mine," Sebastian said.

"Well, goody-two-shoes for you."