Chapter 27 - The Third Task

With a rumbling, the stairs in the hidden corridor appeared, leading to the spacious chamber below. Cassia descended, her footsteps echoing, as did Sebastian's behind her. Moments later, they stood in the circular room, the glassy floor reflecting the portraits, which remained as empty as ever.

"Woah!" Sebastian exclaimed. He turned one way and another, taking in the vast stone walls and embellished molding. "This is it?"

"Yes," Cassia said. "This is where the magic happens."

"Ha, I see what you did there. And the Repository, it's beneath all of this?"

"It is, but I can't get there on my own. The Keepers have to open it. That's beside the point, however."

She stepped toward the portraits, her expectations low as Sebastian tapped his foot against the floor. At one time, it would have lit up like a starry sky, revealing all of Hogwarts and the regions beyond. Now, it was still and bare, more lifeless than a frozen lake. Not even the lanterns or hanging candelabra flickered.

"Hello, Professor Rakham?" She tried. "Professor Rookwood? Professor Fitzgerald? Professor Bakar? If you're there, please talk to me. I need your help now more than ever."

Sebastian backed into her, and she stumbled with a grunt.

"Sorry," he said.

He ceased wandering and stood with her as she implored the Keepers for help.

"I don't know who I can trust. Professor Herbert... something's off there. And the one who's been writing me letters, the last one didn't sit right with me."

She pulled out the letter and read it aloud. Sebastian remained faithfully by her side—although he clearly wanted to keep looking around—as her news fell upon quiet paint.

She tried again. "I need a teacher I know I can trust.

"Why don't they answer?" Sebastian asked.

"I don't know."

She paced up and down the row of portraits, watching for any hints that the Keepers were there while Sebastian inspected Professor Rakham's portrait more closely. He cast a spell that crackled with a white light, but nothing came of it.

"I don't think it's any use," Cassia sighed. "They don't want to talk to me."

"Ridiculous," Sebastian sneered. "You've more than proven yourself. You protected the Repository from Ranrok. What else do they need from you?"

Cassia sat on the floor. "To have never dabbled in the Dark arts. They're afraid I'm like Isadora now and that I'll use my ability to hurt others. I just know that's why."

Sebastian glowered at the portraits, his wand sparking. "You can't judge her like that, you insolent pricks! She made mistakes, but she's fixed them, and she's far more worthy of this ability than any of you selfish bastards—"

"Sebastian, stop!" Cassia hissed. "Being rude won't fix anything."

He looked back at her, and she shook her head. His coat swishing behind, he stepped away and joined her on the floor, clucking his tongue.

"Honestly, it's my fault," he said. "I got you into Dark magic."

"You only gave an outlet for a curiosity that was already there."

Although there were no windows, the air seemed to chill as if a breeze had been let in. Cassia lifted her face and breathed deeply, escaping from past and present troubles for just a moment. It would have been nice, she thought, to be gifted an ordinary life, one where she played Gobstones, skived off classes, and worried about nothing more than her Potions essay.