Chapter 9 - Gravity

Mr. Sehmi gasped and croaked, twisting in the Lethifold's grasp, a sound more animal than man—desperate, frenzied. Cassia struggled, holding her wand in front of her with both hands. She had cast a Patronus before—several times—but not like this, not in a life-or-death situation. The pressure of the task weighed against the dark images her mind conjured, filling her head with "What if?"

What if she wasn't strong enough? What if she was already too late? What if this was what she deserved—a manifestation of every wrong she'd committed, now unable to be righted?

She felt Ominis grab her from behind, shaking her shoulders. The red of his wand gleamed brightly in her eyes, and she gritted her teeth, forcing happy thoughts to rise from the deep.

Petting her cats; the taste of blancmange; running free through the hills; picking apples with Sebastian; lying cramped together in her bed, talking until they both fell asleep.

A silvery wisp billowed from the tip of her wand, filling the gloom with a dazzling light. Cassia held onto the memory, trying to feel the peace again, the laughter.

"Expecto Patronum!" She hissed.

The silver blossomed, strong and bright, weaving together until a magnificent dolphin burst forth. Whistling triumphantly, it dove through the rain, swimming circles around the Lethifold and illuminating its ghastly form with brilliant white. The Dark creature flapped like a broken bird, rasping in protest. It spat Mr. Sehmi from its folds, and the merchant, curled in a ball, rolled across the sand, groaning.

The Lethifold took to the air, wheezing as it went, and the dolphin pursued it into the dark until the beast vanished. With a flip, the Patronus returned to Cassia, clicking and whirling around her, warming the air and filling her with a sense of calm. Even Ominis dropped his hands from her shoulders, a faint chuckle escaping his lips.

Cassia ran to Mr. Sehmi and put a hand on his arm. Ominis and the dolphin, lighting the way, followed after. The lake water lapped at the man as he twitched and opened an eye.

"Mr. Sehmi?" Cassia said slowly. "Are you alright?"

He sat up, holding his head in his hands. His face was pale, and bloodshot veins filled his eyes with red. "I am now."

The dolphin whistled, rolling on its back as it swam one more playful lap around them, then dissipated, the gray and murk taking over again.

"That was dreadful," Ominis said. "We need to report it immediately. Something is going on with these beasts."

Mr. Sehmi got to his feet. He stumbled, and Cassia grabbed his arm to steady him as he said, "Yes, something indeed." His voice was hoarse, and he looked entirely unable to walk on his own. He coughed. "I'll make a report to Ruth Singer come sunrise. You two get back to the castle before that thing returns."

"Mr. Sehmi, you should probably see a healer," Cassia said. "Make sure you're alright."

He staggered forward, waving her concern away. "I'm a Potioneer. I've got what I need. Now, off with you both."

Ominis grabbed Cassia's arm as she attempted to walk Mr. Sehmi home. "He's right. We need to get to the school and report this immediately. No one should be running about unaware."

Cassia glanced at Mr. Sehmi trudging through the rain, a limp in his step, then followed Ominis. The rest of the hamlet was thankfully silent. Whether everyone had gone indoors to escape the bad weather or the Lethifold, it didn't matter. Cassia only hoped they'd lock their windows just in case.

"I need to learn that spell myself," Ominis said. "I hate to imagine if you hadn't been there."

Cassia scoffed. "I almost failed. I don't know why, but I couldn't get my head in a good place. I just—there are so many things wrong."