Chapter 32 - Christmas at the Graveside

Christmas Eve was filled with music, good food, and a cottage crowded with Cassia's siblings and their children. The kitchen was too small for everyone, so they had dinner in the living room, all across the sofas and floor. Nan turned as red as the cranberry jelly when someone spilled gravy for the fourth time, so Grandad—who had been belting carols for everyone—took her on a starlit stroll.

Late into the night, the family swapped memories around the crackling fireplace, where chestnuts roasted in a cinnamon glaze. The children teased the cats, Wizard Crackers were shared, and Delphi, Cassia's only niece, roped Sebastian into drawing with her. She refused, however, to allow Cassia to participate, claiming, "You'll just ruin it!"

Then, on Christmas morning, Cassia awoke to screams of delight from down the hall. She stretched and blinked. Silver moonbeams still swept over her heap of blankets, and she snuggled beneath them a little longer. But the children wouldn't wait, and shortly after, she heard the unsteady footsteps of her parents crossing the landing.

Moments later, Mum pushed her door open. "Get up, Cass. We're going to start."

"Happy Christmas," Cassia yawned, then pulled the pillow over her face. It was too early even for her.

"Hey, wake up, you."

Someone nudged her, and this time, Cassia was startled to see Sebastian standing over her in rumpled pajamas, his hair sticking in all directions. He rubbed sleep from his eyes, flicking his head toward the door in a gesture for her to follow.

"Where's my Mum?" Cassia said as she crawled out of bed. The morning air chilled her skin, so she wrapped herself in a quilt as they left the room.

"Wrangling the kids. Has been for a few minutes."

"I must have fallen back asleep."

The living room was cramped. Clarissa and her family had already claimed the sofas where they had slept. Myrick, Cassia's oldest brother, had pulled chairs from the kitchen for his wife and little ones to sit on. Cassia's other brothers, Conrad and Xavier, conjured cushions before the fireplace, warming themselves from a night spent in an enchanted tent outside. Nan and Grandad sat in their usual armchairs, and Mum and Dad took whatever seat was left. So, Cassia and Sebastian plopped themselves on the floor, slowly coming alive with the holiday energy.

The tree was aglow with candles, stained-glass baubles, strings of beads, and charmed glitter that fell on the branches like fresh snow. Packages big and small peeked from the limbs, their wrappings glistening in the firelight. Grandad hummed his favorite songs in his croaky morning voice, and the fruity smell of wassail steamed through the cottage as a pot boiled in the kitchen.

Sweet cakes and gifts were passed around as dawn broke through the windows. Nan had knitted a new sweater for Sebastian and a thick blanket for Cassia. Despite already being cloaked in a covering, Cassia pulled it across her shoulders, glimpsing a loving smile from Nan. Grandad had gifted Sebastian a set of books by E.T.A. Hoffman, and Cassia received a jewelry case from her parents, which Mum said would be perfect for keeping her treasures in.

Cassia and Sebastian opened presents from friends, too. Ominis had given each of them ornamental paperweights—an obsidian dragon for Sebastian and a glass cat for Cassia. From Poppy, Sebastian got a box of toffee apples and Cassia a puzzle with an image that moved across the pieces. Cassia also opened an envelope from Natty containing the recipe for a Fire-Breathing Potion ("Oho! Natty's the best!").

As the excitement wound down, wrappings, ribbons, and empty crackers were strewn about the room. One of the children had smashed cake into the rug, and Grandad took Nan outside before she lost her composure. Cassia stretched and pulled her blankets more tightly around her, considering whether she wanted another mug of fruity wassail. Her backside ached from sitting on the hard floor, and getting up for a moment would do her some good. But before she could budge, Sebastian tapped her arm. From his pocket, he retrieved a small box bundled in decorative paper.