Chapter 21 - An Unexpected Rendezvous

Cassia sat up in bed and looked out the window. The morning was bright and clear, with only a small flurry of snow. A few days had passed since the harrowing experience in the grotto, but it still pressed heavily on her body and mind. A day of fun was just what she needed to cleanse it.

She climbed from her bunk and dressed quickly, giving a brief good morning to her dormmates and a slightly longer petting to the cat, who now seemed a permanent resident. She took the stairs two at a time down to the Great Hall, which was buzzing with such vivid excitement she couldn't help but rub her hands together in happy anticipation.

It was the first Quidditch match of the season—Slytherin versus Gryffindor—and it seemed the school couldn't wait any longer for the reinstatement of the beloved tradition. Even Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs donned green and scarlet to support their friends in other houses. At the staff table, a less-than-friendly argument was going on between Madam Kogawa and Professor Shah, who apparently had different hopes for the outcome of the game.

Cassia bounded to the Slytherin table, where Poppy wore an emerald cloak, and Sebastian sported a blazer with a serpent embroidered upon the back. Ominis wore a green and silver scarf and held out a second as Cassia sat down.

"For you."

"Thanks so much, Ominis." Cassia wrapped it around her neck, proud she now had something to show which team she'd be cheering for.

"First game of the season!" Sebastian beamed. "So glad it's back. Black's an imbecile for cancelling it last year. I hope someone casts a puking hex on him."

"I could do that," Cassia offered as she dished up some porridge.

"Oh, please don't," Ominis said. "No one wants to know how rotten he is on the inside."

Cassia gulped a big spoonful. "You know, this is the first time I've ever seen a Quidditch game."

"Really?" Poppy asked. "Your parents never took you to one?"

"Mum's indifferent, having come from a Muggle family and all, and Dad would rather work in his garden."

"Oh, you're going to love it!" Sebastian gushed. "Don't worry, I'll keep you informed on everything going on. It can be hard to keep up sometimes because the players all look like blurs, but it's great fun. I wonder if anyone will get hit with a Bludger this game. One flew into the stands a few years ago, but don't worry, that doesn't happen often. By the end of it, I'll make sure you know the names of every technique and foul. I wonder what kind of strategy Imelda's cooked up. Going to be something brilliant, for sure."

Poppy laughed. "You sound like you should be on the team yourself."

He nodded vigorously. "I've thought about it. Might not be a bad idea. Maybe next year, if I can get myself a broom." He stood up, his breakfast only half-finished. "Should we get going, then? We want to get good seats. High up and in the first row!"

"Sebastian, I just started eating," Cassia protested, but truthfully, she was eager to join the excitement.

A few, very short minutes later, they walked across the frosty grounds filled with chattering students carrying streamers and banners and shooting sparks in the house colors. It seemed things had escalated between Professor Shah and Madam Kogawa as the latter marched toward the pitch, her hair frazzled, muttering, "She thinks she knows more about Quidditch than me? I'll stuff a thing or two up her—"

But Cassia didn't hear the rest as Sebastian clapped loudly once they entered the stands, urging them all to hurry to the top. A few other students already occupied the box, including Natty, but Sebastian wouldn't be deterred. He muscled through them, barking at some second-years to get off the front seats.