Chapter 11 - A Tangled Web of Trouble

Warning: Spiders. Lots and lots of spiders.

Cassia sat in the library, holding the strange little rock in her palm. She alone had a study period that hour, and she thought she'd spend it looking over her copy of Marble and Malachite: Mesmerizing Minerals and Their Metaphysical Magic to search for whatever secrets her treasure held. She read of celestite's property to improve dreams and garnet's ability to bring love and devotion. But as far as she could tell, the stone had no importance whatsoever except perhaps sentiment to whomever buried it. The author, Micah Moonstone, even discussed the possibility that stones might not have magic at all, which rendered the rock entirely useless—just a pretty thing with a glossy, black surface.

She ran her finger along a sentence that claimed wearing crystals as amulets could bring enlightenment and transformation. She clucked her tongue. It seemed like something out of Professor Herbert's class. She flipped through the pages, looking for illustrations that matched her rock.

Then, she paused and flipped back a page. She'd spotted something definitely out of Professor Herbert's class. She read:

Nicolas Flamel is the only known creator of the Philosopher's Stone, which he perfected in the fourteenth century. It's been rumored that Flamel created the stone using extraordinarily rare and archaic magic, although he's famously taciturn on the matter. The one secret he has divulged is that the Elixer of Life has a tart cherry flavor.

She read the passage again, mouthing "extraordinarily rare and archaic magic." Beside the text was an illustration of a glassy, blood-red stone and a phial of an equally red liquid. She squinted, examining the words and picture for clues about Flamel's magic. She flipped to the index, hoping for more information. None. She heaved her heavy Alchemy book from her bag and rummaged through it. If it didn't mention Flamel, the book wasn't worth its salt.

She snickered at the thought. "Sebastian's not the only one who can make puns."

There was a movement in the corner of her eye, and a moment later, Leander was sitting with her.

"Hey," he said. "I didn't see you in Herbology the other day. Where were you?"

She thought of her time in the Room of Requirement. "Oh, it wasn't a big deal. Sebastian just needed help with something."

"And he couldn't wait until classes were over?" A frown crossed Leander's face.

"No, it was urgent."

"You must be really dedicated to him."

She scowled at him. "Wouldn't you do the same for a friend in need?"

Leander gaped at her, then pursed his lips. "Right, sorry."

He sheepishly shifted in his seat, then took a roll of parchment from his bag. Cassia returned to her search, mildly annoyed that he'd decided to remain at her table. She examined an illustration of an Ouroboros as Madam Scribner hushed a Ravenclaw who was speaking too loudly.

She read about Flamel's discoveries of unifying opposites and the powers of the number three, but there was nothing more about his rare and archaic power. He had remained taciturn indeed.

"That looks complicated," Leander whispered, looking over her shoulder.

Cassia started. She'd been so wrapped up in her reading that she'd forgotten he was there. "Oh, yeah, it can be."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. So... Alchemy. Garreth's in that class. He says he's hoping it'll help him with his potions."

"Yeah, that's the same reason I'm taking it."