001.

' FRI, OCTOBER 14TH, 1994. '
sanai and darnell's residence  ⸻
inglewood, california !

     I LIE ON MY COUCH , my head resting against a soft pillow as the television screen casts a flickering light across the room. The movie plays on, but my interest wanes with each passing minute. The cold, wet weather outside contrasts with the warmth I feel beneath my cozy blanket. Beside me, my boyfriend Darnell cuddles up with me, engrossed in the film.

Darnell's hand rests comfortably against my waist as I fight to stay awake. His laughter synchronizes with the soundtrack whenever a funny scene happens, and I can't help but smile at his deep laughter, even though I'm struggling to keep my heavy eyelids open.

"How long is left?" I yawn, pulling my fluffy blanket even closer towards me. "I dunno, but I don't give a fuck, this movie real interesting." Darnell replies with a pleased grin.

Darnell and I have been together for nearly two years, he's been most supportive of me more than anyone else, offering me a place to stay and understanding my problems and struggles when nobody else did.

We both met at the strip club, where I've been working for over a year, he was an occasional visitor and a popular one known for his looks and loyalty to the business. After he'd often ask me to give him dances here and there, we'd begin talking and when I was kicked out of my home, he offered me a place to stay.

I lived with him and even though he'd promised that things would be platonic between the two of us, he wasn't true to his words and things would get sexual between the two of us until we'd agree to take things serious and begin dating. Despite our unfortunate start, our love has grown stronger with each passing day. He's been there for me through everything, especially at my lowest.

"I need to get up soon before I end up falling asleep here on the couch," I mutter, rubbing my eyes and attempting to lift my exhausted body from the couch.

Darnell's hold on my waist tightens, making it clear that he has no intention of letting me go until I listen to him. "Wait a bit, it's 'boutta get real good," he insists. I turn to him, frustrated, but met with that comforting smile of his, complete with pearly whites and a dimple.

"Let me go, Darnell. I told you I don't like watching these action movies you like," I say, my hand resting on top of his in a pleading manner. He laughs but doesn't release his grip on me. His laughter, like always, brings a smile to my lips. "Just stay for a minute. I need company," he begs.

Our eyes lock, a silent plea passing between us. I want to get up, but the desperate glint behind his eyes makes it difficult to resist. I let out a deep sigh and settle back down on the couch giving into his charm. Darnell's arm curls around me, pulling me closer once again, and I can't help but feel a sense of comfort, even though it brings me closer to sleep.

"Thank you, babe." he mumbles.

Living with Darnell has been great so far. It's my first time living with a man, and I thought he'd be unsupportive of my job at the strip club, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. After all, that's where we met, and it's what brought us together.

But there's one complicated aspect of our relationship, and I can't really get my mind past it.

Darnell is affiliated with the Bloods.

Despite the danger and uncertainty that comes with him being connected to a gang, I can't deny the love I feel for Darnell. He's been there for me when I had no one else, providing a roof over my head, love, and unwavering support.