040.

' FRI , NOV 19TH 1995. '
california love mv shoot ⸻
el mirage , california !

     AS I WALK ONTO THE SET the early morning sun bathes the scene in a warm, golden glow. It's a bustling environment, filled with energy and anticipation. Today marks the release of Tupac's comeback music video under Death Row Records, and the excitement is palpable.

The air buzzes with excitement as the crew prepares for a day of capturing the essence of 'California Love.' The chatter and movement of the cameras fill the atmosphere with busyness but also anticipation.

I make my way to the makeup trailer, the hub of activity on set. The distant beats of the iconic song play in the background as I swing open the door, revealing a well-lit space filled with mirrors, lights, and a set of makeup tools.

The makeup trailer, with colorful posters and signs, stands out in the bustling set. It's spacious enough to hold multiple artists and stylists, with a steady stream of people coming and going. Inside, mirrors reflect the soft glow of vanity lights, and makeup palettes and brushes are neatly arranged on countertops. It's a space of creativity and transformation.

I head straight for the trailer where I will be setting up to do the makeup for the shoot. As I arrange my supplies and prepare for the day ahead, my assistant Kyle joins me for the making of the music video. Kyle is a stylish young man with a keen eye for detail, and he wastes no time in getting to work.

I've arrived on set a few hours before Tupac, having to get up early since I'm the main lead for the makeup and outfits of the video shoot. Taking a moment to organize my setup, I prepare for a day of artistry ahead. The trailer is a space of creativity, and the familiar routine of prepping for a shoot feels comforting.

I hum along to the music playing outside that I'm somehow able to hear under all the voices of the other stylists in the space, losing myself in the rhythm as I lay out my makeup palettes and brushes.

"Can you believe we're glamming up Tupac today?" Kyle exclaims, his excitement evident in his voice. He gasps as he hurries to correct his words, earning a smile from me, "Oh my bad, I forgot you and Tupac got a thang going on, I saw them pictures girl." He teases.

I chuckle at Kyle's playful teasing, shaking my head. "Yeah, it's a big day for both of us," I reply with a grin, feeling a mixture of nerves and excitement bubbling within me. "It's my first time leading the styling for a music video."

Kyle nods, a knowing smile spreading across his face. "You gon' kill it," he says, his voice filled with confidence. "Your talent speaks for itself, and I'm sure they wouldn't have you here doing what you gon' do if you were bad."

I can't help but smile at his words, grateful for his support. "Thanks," I reply, feeling a surge of determination wash over me. "I'm just gonna do what I can."

As we continue to set up, the buzz of excitement in the trailer only grows stronger. The crew members bustle about, each one focused on their specific tasks, all working towards making sure everything is perfect and set for the first day of shooting.

"Have you seen the set design?" I ask Kyle, gesturing towards the mood boards pinned up on the walls and then outside of the trailer window into the desert. "They spent a lot on it, wonder how long it took to set up."

Kyle nods in agreement, his eyes glancing outside with amusement. "Hell yeah, it looks amazing," he replies, his voice filled with excitement. "I can't wait to see how it all comes together."

I laugh, appreciating his enthusiasm. As he starts going through the racks of clothes, I turn my attention back to the makeup setup. The trailer is buzzing with activity, and the distant beats of 'California Love' outside are a constant reminder of the energy surrounding this shoot.