002.

' SAT, OCTOBER 22ND, 1994. '
sanai and darnell's residence  ⸻
inglewood, california !

     I STAND NEAR THE ENTERANCE OF OUR APARTMENT , preparing to leave for another night of work. It's a tiring job and had once been humiliating, but when I come home with cash in my hands, the shame leaves. I knew I had to do what I had to do.

The home is dimly lit, with the only light coming from the living room peeking through the door. Darnell had come home a few hours ago, and we had exchanged only a few words. He seemed more hostile than usual, but I chose not to question him, knowing it might only make things worse.

He had came straight from wherever he was to the kitchen, opening our cabinets and instead of taking the time to talk with me, he decided to put all of the energy into clicking open bottles of alcohol and drinking them. I'd tried to stop him, asking that he'd be more careful with drinking.

It's clear there's something on his mind, but I wasn't going to discuss it with him in this state.

As I put on my sneakers and adjust my hair in the mirror, readying myself to leave, I notice a shadow behind me through the wall. I turn to see Darnell standing there, arms folded. Confused, I furrow my brows at him until he switches on the light, revealing his stern expression.

"What's wrong with you?" I ask, puzzled.

He remains silent for a moment before finally speaking. "I dunno, I've been thinking about this recently, and I ain't feeling you stripping anymore," he confesses with a tired voice, his head is held low and his eyes are puffy. I squint at him, attempting to process his words only to fail. In response, I turn to walk towards the door to leave, I don't have the time to deal with him today. Just as I'm about to exit, he interrupts me.

"What you mean?" I mutter confused. He sighs in frustration rubbing his head. "Before we even started dating, I told you—I was honest, and you said you were okay with it."

He shakes his head, his tone becoming more serious. "I know, but that was a year ago. Now, I want to take what we have more seriously," He explains words slurred and I can't help but laugh, this isn't the first time and this time I'm not about to lose anything.

I can't help but laugh at his sudden change of heart, it's clear it's the alcohol that has his acting this way, at least to me. "Darnell, quit playing," I respond, not taking him serious at all.

Clearly, my response isn't what he wants to hear. He grows more agitated, this time a lot more quicker making it apparent that he's serious this time or just drunk. "I'm not playing. I don't want to shout at you or anything, but I'm telling you, I ain't with this anymore."

I blink at him, watching his eyes flare with anger. It's clear things are about to grow and escalate badly. "I'm too tired for this, babe. I need to leave before I'm late." My hand reaches for the door, but before I can, I feel his grip on my hand, tightly. I feel my face drop in annoyance as I turn back to look at him, only to find him glaring directly at me.

"I'm tellin' you, you ain't leaving." he states firmly. I glare at him, finding his words to be stupid and his hand on my wrist grows strong, limiting me from moving my hand. "Darnell, let go of me." I close my eyes and utter.

He persists, and it's then I begin to get annoyed.

"I ain't letting you go until you tell me you ain't going."

My eyes open upon his words, and I turn to look at him. The clock in the room ticks, and the sound makes me grow impatient with him. I'm not trying to argue or turn this into anything big, but at this point, I have no other choice but to.