016.

( forewarning ! )
the following chapter contains mentions of an abusive relationship

FOUR MONTHS LATER.

. . .

' MON , APRIL 13TH 1995. '
sanai's 20th birthday party  ⸻
calabasas, california !

     I STROLL TOWARDS THE MANSION, clutching my purse over my shoulder. It is a special day; I have just turned 20. Honestly, I don't have huge expectations for my birthday, especially given it is already midday, and I've only received a few occasional happy birthday wishes. But there is a twist in the works.

This grand building is not my home; it belongs to Suge. It is beautiful, the first mansion I've ever stepped foot in and is amongst the mansions in Calabasas glowing beneath the sun. The day before, I received a phone call, asking me to visit his residence. Visits from Death Row Records employees to his mansion aren't unusual, and I quickly learned that.

Upon reaching the front door, I ring the bell, waiting for someone to answer. The door eventually swings open, revealing Michel'le with her adorable little son by her side. She welcomes me with a smile.

"Hey Michel'le," I greet her, extending my arms for a hug. But her response is an oddly half-hearted hug, leaving me confused. She offers a playful smile and rushes me inside. That's when I sense that something off is happening.

As the door opens, the living space is revealed, and I freeze, stunned at the surprise. It is filled with people and beautiful decorations. The crowd synchronizes a chorus of "Happy Birthday" as I step inside, taking me completely by surprise. My eyes sparkle as I recognize familiar faces, and I can't help but smile at the kind gesture.

Tears of joy well up as I exchange hugs and expressions of gratitude with Michel'le, The Lady of Rage, and Jewell. Marcel, Michel'le's son, cheers adorably, and I lift him up into my arms.

"I didn't think I was gon have . . . a party." I say, overwhelmed with emotion. I tell them, and they laugh at my adorable reaction. I take in the room's decorations and point to a floating balloon that has captured Marcel's attention, bringing more smiles all around. "Of course, we had to do a party for you; you're our homegirl!" Rage says, holding a glass filled with what I assume is Hennessy. I'm grateful for their kindness.

I turn my attention to Jewell, who seems to have clearly taken too many drinks. She stumbles and engages in loud conversations, and we laugh at her as we watch her do so. I get into a deep conversation with Michel'le and Rage, expressing my gratitude for the birthday party and catching up with them both.

I've been with Death Row Records for only about four months, but even though it's a short time, I've grown to have great relationships with most of the artists, especially the ladies. As one of the youngest at the label, I'm a makeup artist for music videos and award shows, a job that allows me to pay the bills, prices of having a baby while also being part of a supportive and loving environment.

"Sanai." someone calls my name, and I turn to see Dr. Dre glancing down at me with a smile, his arms open for my embrace. I hug him friendly before pulling away, "Happy birthday . . . you came a lil' late but it's all good." He tells me, and I playfully roll my eyes.