012.

' TUES , NOVEMBER 22ND 1994. '
inglewood hospital  ⸻
inglewood , california !

     INSIDE OF THE WAITING ROOM , I find myself feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety as I wait for my appointment. Darnell sits their right beside me, his grip on my hand keeps me comfort me as I wait for answers about my pregnancy —specifically how far along I am—feels like an eternity.

The room is fairly packed, people come and go their names being called as they go for their appointments. It's been a few weeks since I took a pregnancy test and I recently took a professional pregnancy exam, and now, the results are finally ready. My need for answers and certainty grows as each minutes passes by.

"Sanai, whatever happens I'm gon' be here for you." Darnell insists, his comforting presence and the firm hold of his hand help calm my racing thoughts. "It's not that I'm nervous, I know I'm pregnant. It's — strange." I stumble, my gaze wandering into the distance.  "The only thing this would do is just make things clearer."

Having recently announced my pregnancy to Darnell, I've already come to understand that my time stripping is coming to an end. It's the obvious decision, driven by a sense of responsibility towards my unborn child. The room's ambiance, that's both quiet and busy only makes me more uneasy.

"They're taking forever, just call out the name damn." Darnell complains a little too loud as he slouches back into his seat, a few people peer over at him and he only blinks back over at them.

I haven't stepped foot in the strip club last week. Luckily, because I'm seen as such a "great employee" Big Joe doesn't seem to mind my absence at all. Although I'm certain my pregnancy would bother him.

As I observe a couple leaving the room, the pregnant mother smiles over at me upon eye contact, making the impending reality of my own pregnancy feel real; it hits me that that'll be me in the next few months. She walks past until it's almost my time to be called out.

"Sanai Jones?" a masculine voice calls out, bringing me back into the present. I make eye contact with Darnell and we both sigh as we get up, walking towards the room alongside one another, his presence a source of strength and encouragement.

Stepping into the room, the atmosphere feels thick with tension. I brace myself for the obvious truth that awaits, a truth that, at the age of 19 I don't want to hear.

Darnell's gentle touch on my back provides a comforting reassurance as the doctor reviews my results. The room falls silent, the air heavy with anticipation as the doctor flips through the papers as he pulls out the results, glancing through his glasses as he searches.

"So, you've taken a pregnancy test right?" He asks, I nod and Darnell does so too continuing his comforting. "You reported it came back positive, correct?"

"Yes, correct." I affirm.

He hums to himself for a short moment. His paper shuffling halting as he finally locates my results. "You look so nervous, please calm down Miss Jones." He smiles. His words only make me ease down a little as much as I possibly can.

"Sorry, my bad." I whisper awkwardly.

"We ran a test on both your urine and blood." He starts and it's then my heart begins to beat so fast it feels uncomfortable. "The results came out—