Chapter 18: In my blood

Alex accepted her defeat and dropped her blaster at the droid's command. She rolled her eyes, waiting for the right moment to retrieve a blaster hidden in her jacket, but she found herself completely surrounded by droids.

"Sir, we have some sort of scoundrel in our midst. She was here fighting with two Jedi," the droid reported over its com.

"I think I know who you're referring to. Lock her up with Kenobi," a voice at the other end of the com echoed sinisterly. The mention of Obi-Wan piqued Alex's interest, though she didn't recognize the voice.

"Roger, Roger," the droid replied.

Given that she was heavily outnumbered and already being escorted to Obi-Wan, Alex abandoned her plans to draw her blaster.

A droid nudged her from behind, and she shot an angry look at it, her eyes filled with determination. She knew that when the opportunity arose, this droid would face her wrath, even though she couldn't distinguish them all.

One of the droids handcuffed her, effectively thwarting her plans to retrieve her blaster.

They led her to a cell, opened the door, and pushed her inside. Alex shouted furiously, "Just wait until I get out of here, you robot scum!"

A figure emerged from the darkness. "Alex? What are you doing here?"

"Obi-Wan," Alex said softly as she approached him, reaching out to hold his handcuffed hands. In the light, Obi-Wan's disheveled appearance became more evident—his well-kept hair askew, dirt smudges on his face, and his armor almost torn apart. "Anakin, Ahsoka, and I came here to rescue you."

"What? I thought you left."

"I did, but it's a long story."

"Well, as you can see, we have plenty of time. Where are Anakin and Ahsoka?" He inquired.

"They managed to escape; I couldn't make it," she replied. He nodded in understanding. Alex noticed she was still holding his hands and abruptly let go, which didn't escape his notice as he furrowed his brows.

"I was on my ship," Alex began. "Suddenly, I had a feeling that something had happened to you."

"A feeling? Could it be the Force?" Obi-Wan wondered.

"Maybe, I can't be sure."

Alex walked to a wall and sat against it, and Obi-Wan followed suit. "Alex," he said quietly, "I'm sorry."

"Why would you be sorry, my friend?" Alex replied sarcastically.

"Alex, all this time in this cell, it pained me, not because I thought I might die, but because those would be my last words to you," Obi-Wan confessed. Alex kept her gaze fixed on the ground. "I felt utterly foolish. I don't know why I did that, perhaps out of frustration."

"Frustration about what?" Alex inquired.

"Frustration that you were leaving and that I wouldn't see you again for years," he admitted. Alex opened her mouth to respond, but she knew it was true. "Mostly, frustration because of how I felt." Alex turned her head to face Obi-Wan, her eyebrows raised.

"What do you mean?" Alex asked, not because she was unaware but because she wanted to hear it from his own lips.

"I think you know," Obi-Wan said. "I think about you every day, every minute. I need you. Every time I see you, a current passes through my body. I know it's wrong, and I'm suffering, Alex. I don't know what to do."

"Obi-Wan," Alex hesitated for a moment but continued. "My parents were Jedi."

"What?" Confusion clouded Obi-Wan's thoughts. "How did that—oh."

"Yeah, they were quite the rule breakers," Alex joked, her voice filled with agony. "They concealed their relationship as long as they could, but my mother became pregnant, and they were expelled from the Council." Obi-Wan listened attentively, taking in every word. "But, Their enemies tracked them down and killed them when I was 5," Alex said, looking down.

"I'm sorry, Alex."

"That's why I don't trust the Jedi Council and their foolish rules. It's idiocy," Alex said, growing agitated. She got up, and Obi-Wan's gaze followed her. "If they hadn't been expelled from the Council, they might still be alive!" Her voice quivered.

Obi-Wan didn't know what to say; he simply looked at her. Alex tried to hold back tears and sat back down, burying her head in her hands. Obi-Wan felt uncertain about how to comfort someone, having been surrounded by Jedi all his life.

So, he put his arms around her and hugged her tightly. She looked up, saying, "And now, I have this within me, and I don't want it there. I want it gone."

"The Force?" Obi-Wan asked softly.

"Yes, the damn Force. I stopped feeling it you know, after my parents death," She started, "It went away, but it came back, the second you walked in that Cantina at Mos Eisley, It came back into my body, and it hasn't left since."