Chapter 21: Baby steps

As Alex left the room and walked towards the cockpit, tormented, Anakin was exiting the cockpit, walking towards her.

"Listen," he said. Alex looked up at him. "I don't know exactly what the deal here is, but from what I saw today, you need guidance. When we reach Coruscant, you'll speak to Master Yoda, okay?"

Alex nodded, mostly because she wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying and wanted to be alone. "Yeah, sure, whatever." Anakin patted her shoulder and left.

•••
"Hm," Yoda said with his hand on his chin, thinking. Alex and Obi-Wan stood before him. She had explained everything, even told him the truth about her parents.

"Knew your parents I did," Yoda said. Alex looked at him, her eyebrows raised.

"You did?"

"Deepest condolences, I offer. Good people, they were." Alex felt a sharp pain in her chest. Yes, they were, she thought.

"What now? You're not gonna tell me to become a Jedi now, are you?" She spat, letting out a painful chuckle.

"Much too late it is for you to become a Jedi, but learn more about the Force you must, so you can control it," Yoda said, pointing at her. "Master Obi-Wan can teach you the ways of the Force."

She looked back at Obi-Wan, who gave her a half-smile.

They both left the room. She thanked Yoda for his guidance. She put her hand on her temple; she was too confused, too much was happening all at once. "What do you think I should do?" She asked Obi-Wan.

"Who? Me?" He said awkwardly.

"Who else would I be talking to? A Force ghost? Yes, you!" She said, frustrated. "Sorry, I'm really stressed."

"It's alright. I think you should learn to control the Force," he said.

"Really?" She said. "I think it's rather stupid."

"Alex, if you don't learn to control it, you could hurt somebody. The power you have, you shouldn't take it lightly," he explained.

She nodded, "When do we start?" she said firmly.

•••

Alex and Obi-Wan stood in a white room. "You can't be serious," she said, looking at a little cube sitting on a table. "You want me to lift that? That's insulting."

"Alex, Baby steps."

Alex rolled her eyes. "Fine."

She lifted up her arm and turned it towards the cube. She moved her hand, but nothing happened. "It's not working."

"Try again."

She tried again, but still nothing happened. "This is stupid; it won't work. It was probably a one-time thing," she said, walking towards the door. Obi-Wan jumped in front of her.

"Hey, don't give up. It's not that easy to control the Force; that's why we're here, right?" He moved her back to her position, lifted up her arm. "Now, close your eyes, and focus." She followed his instructions. "What was going on in your head when you used it back at the Separatist base?"

"I don't know, I just... I was scared."

"Reach into your heart, Alex. The Force is all around you; it's everywhere, it's inside you. Reach it, and grab it!" Obi-Wan said.

Alex searched through her mind, everything she kept locked away. She thought of her parents, of her childhood, of Obi-Wan. All of a sudden, a storm built up inside her mind. Her hand moved towards the cube, and she lifted it up, squeezing her eyes shut. Obi-Wan looked at her proudly. But suddenly she lost control, and the cube started to shake. She grunted. The cube exploded.