Exercising the Vertical Plunges

I begin to sweat nervously. Who is this lady? And if she knows me so well, why haven't I ever seen her before? The internal panic returns even though it never really left and I stand nailed to the ground. What am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to say?

"Uhm..." I attempt to swallow the lump in my throat but I concentrate on it so much that I start choking. That's a little dramatic, it's more like coughing. An irritating little tickle in my throat that won't go away so it can just worsen the whole situation because everything keeps going wrong in my life! Especially today...

"Oh... are you alright? I was just messing with you, I didn't mean to make you almost un-alive yourself." Ms. Bozzelli says sympathetically, but I still get the hunch that she's trying to hold back a laugh.

"Oh, no no no, I'm fine." I start, but then I wheeze for no reason, likely making Ms. Bozzelli question the sincerity of my words. And then I begin coughing uncontrollably again, defeating my whole reassurance. "I really am. I was just... I'm okay." I say before coughing once again. "I'm totally good. This is what I do when I'm okay and totally not choking." I try. No, I need to stop talking. I'm just making it worse.

This isn't the first class I've wanted to run out of today.

"Well... if you insist. Just find a seat." Ms. Bozzelli tells me. "Just in case you pass out." She mumbles almost inaudibly to the point that I think I'm the only one who heard her. For my peace of mind, it's probably better that I think that. Even though I probably wasn't supposed to hear that myself.

Throughout the rest of civics, I come to learn that Ms. Bozzelli is quite the humourous individual. Which explains the intriguing introduction, but also helps me completely forget about it in the first place. And in no time, I'm off to the final period of the day: PE.

I enjoy PE. But there's a vast difference between liking something and being good at it. And PE? Not my strong suit. Hopefully by the end of this semester, that will have changed somewhat.

"Khai, right? I hope you brought some gym clothes! Because I'm Mr. Burns, and I'll be making you burn some calories!"

I turn around to face the man who I assume is my gym teacher and chuckle at his pun. He looks at me, surprised.

"You're the first one who's ever laughed at that!" He exclaims.

"That would make sense. My humor is broken." I inform him, and at this, he frowns.

"That just implies that mine is broken too... so then it's not actually a good pun. You know what, no. It's funny to me – and you, apparently – and I'm gonna take the win." He pauses, seeming confident, but then he turns to me and his expression fades. "But seriously, do you have gym clothes?" He asks.

"No?" I reply hesitantly and in a questionable manner for I don't know what reason.

"Hmm. Oh well. Bring some tomorrow. For now... you could use one of the uniforms from the sports teams. Or you'll just have to hope that what you're currently wearing won't slow you down."

I nod.

"I think I'm good. It's just for one class."

"Alright then, time to get to it!" Mr. Burns jogs to the track and blows his whistle. I quickly follow him and soon I'm joined up with the rest of the students formed in a group on the track. I suddenly notice Tyrone amongst them, wearing a sleeveless hoodie that makes him look really good and...

Oh no! He's going to see me flailing around like a noodly goose... or fish... whatever. Anything that's not human or even remotely human. I'm gonna embarrass myself again! Why does he have to be here?