chapter 41

[A FEW MONTHS AGO]

My day at school had gone by quite fast, but I had stayed after hours to clean and to study in the library. By the time it got to 6, the sky was red as the sun set on the not so distant shore. Being Okinawan I'd grown up by the sea but it never failed to stupefy me by it's intense beauty and fresh smell.

I considered discarding my uniform and going to lay in the water for a while but ultimately decided against it considering the time. I completed my venture home making it back before the sun has fully set.

In the driveway I noticed a familiar suv. It was the kind the local mob drove, they weren't a threat to us kids but if you saw one you knew to keep your distance. Being a wielder of common sense I pulled out my phone and texted my dad since his car was the only other one here. My mom must still be at work.

I asked what was going on and if it was okay for me to come in.

"Everything is great, come on in"

I asked about the large black suv parked outside our home.

"My friend from work is here for dinner, come in and eat"

I was hungry and brushed off the bad feeling I got, a mistake i'd never make again. I opened the door, removing my shoes and replacing them with my slides. The house was cold, an odd circumstance for Okinawa, and the smell of food was vacant and non existent.

I'd made sure to close the door quietly and crept up to my room making sure I'd remained unheard.

I could hear muffled voices coming from the family room, the door shut but I could see the shadows under the door. The shadows of multiple people.

The bad feeling I'd gotten grew worse by the second but ceased when I'd gotten to my bedroom without making a sound. I quickly changed my out of my uniform and resided in my bed with my phone scrolling through random social pages.

"Are you here?"

I ignored my dad's message, presuming he might have been drinking again. He wasn't abusive in anyway, he was just a bit pushy. But he had had some alcohol problems before which I was sure he'd overcome.

"Please come down"

I ignored him again just waiting for my mom to come home.

"Mitchiko, don't ignore me. Come downstairs"

If this was another talk about how I 'need to take my education more seriously' i was going to lose my mind.

I huffed loudly and slid my phone into the pocket of my sweatpants. Reluctantly, I dragged myself downstairs, the bad feeling returning with every gradual step I took. The family room door was wide open, my dad sat down in his usual one seater. In the doorway was a large man, quite a bit older than me but still younger than my dad. Perhaps in his late 20s, he was handsome but seemed so off. It was creeping me out.

He watched me like some kind of predator, my dad's face buried in his hands, looking away in shame.

"Hello?" I questioned trying to be polite without asking straight up 'what the fuck are you doing in my house?!'

"Miss Yoshida? Lovely to meet you" He says giving me a sickening grin, he takes my hand and kisses it for a second to long much to my disgust.

"Dad what's going on?" I ask

His shoulder's were shaking and I could hear him sniffling every so often.

I looked to the creepy guy standing in front of me, my eyes demanding some kind of answer. He looked shocked, amazed by my obliviousness.