chapter 42

chishiya pov

She hadn't spoken a word to anyone since that night. Banda had made no attempt to communicate with either of us, not that he could he could have in person anyways. We had promptly set off to return to the academy, the entire bus journey back she refused to eat. She had only eaten something when Arisu and I both threatened to starve ourselves alongside her, it was extremely unhealthy for her to not eat or drink in the state she was in. After she ate, she seemed to have relaxed, even falling asleep for the remainder of the journey.

When we got back it was Sunday, only an hour after arriving back I was chased down by Kuina. She was clearly very annoyed.

"What did you do to her?" She asks accusingly as we stand outside my dorm. Her glare told me she assumed Mitchiko's melancholy state was a result of my actions. Which I suppose it was, if i hadn't have murdered Banda's mother, he wouldn't be seeking revenge and therefore never made contact with that disgusting excuse for her father. And therefore she wouldn't be so sad.

I found myself at a loss for words.

"Chishiya!" Kuina seemed confused by my silence "Since you came back, Mitchiko has been so off. She's so...sad"

"I know" I admit

"Is it your fault?" She asks me

"It is"

"Fix it"

-----------------------------------

I walk in to the dorm, the lights were off aside from the dimmed blue led's. My heart stung when i noticed the way she flinched at the sound of the door opening, her eyes wide and red, her chest rising and falling much to quick.

"He's not here" I reassure her walking carefully to sit with her

"I know" She breathes nodding, trying to convince herself "I'm just so scared"

"You shouldn't be, i wouldn't let him take you"

"You don't get it" She whisper, voice cracking slightly "My father has always been cruel, he loved me at least a bit but altogether he cares most about himself. He's relentless and will know no peace till I'm unhappily married to some stranger and he gets his fucking money"

"I'm sorry" I tell her

"Don't be its not your fault. It's Banda's. How could he have contacted my father anyways?"

That had been mulling on my mind ever since the river, he was smart sure, but he was no genius. Certainly not a mind reader, how could he have possibly found out about something so secret and hidden?

"None of this would  have happened if i hadn't killed his mother" I admit quietly staring at the sheets, the unfamiliar feeling of guilt consuming me whole. It was a feeling I had buried deep inside of me, locked away selfishly to save myself the pain of human emotion and regret.

I hear her scuffle over to me, kneeling besides me on the mattress, she extends her fingertips to the sides of my face.

"You didn't kill his mother you were only a child, this isn't your fault" She tries to convince me holding my face close to hers, I keep my eyes away from her own. A moment of silence passes between us, she waits for me to say something, waits for me to believe her but i can't.

Her eyes were glassy, i could see myself in them as water threatened to spill down her face "This isn't your fault"

"Stop it" I interrupt her repetition "I should be comforting you, not vice versa"

She remains silent as I pull her close against my chest, her legs draped over my knees.

"You can cry if you want, or we can talk I'll listen, we can just sit, use me however you need to feel better" I say quietly

She says nothing but I feel her tears against my chest after a few minutes. So I hold her tight against me stroking her hair, kissing her head every so often and whispering reassurance from time to time.

All of a sudden after a couple moments, she goes stiff against me and shoots up, wiping the tears on her face away with her palms.

"That's enough pity for today" She says with a grin, her eyes still red "Crying won't do shit now will it"

"It could help you feel better" I suggest idly watching her carefully as she puts some clothes on

"No it won't, i cried because i'm fucking terrified my father will find me and put me in a marriage that will make me severely unhappy for the rest of my life. Not because it would make me feel better" She tells me as her slightly shaking hands do up her jeans.

I keep my eyes set on her as she pretends she's okay, she pulls on her shirt and begins on her shoes. I continue staring amazed at her unpredictability, then again she isn't the type to enjoy showing what she may feel is a weakness to others.

The silence thickens.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asks stopping mid shoe lace to question me

"I'm just thinking"

MITCHIKO'S POV:

Thinking? What the hell was he thinking about, his stare was hard and pitiful. It made me sick, I did not want to be pitied. When he came in to comfort me, my heart swelled that he would do something like that for me, he would be there for me when i was sad. But at the same time i wanted to push him away and scream at him for pitying me. For feeling sorry for me.

Pity would get me nowhere.

Now, i was set to live my life normally. Continue with school, finish up the semester, go on the grade trip to Okinawa, and complete my last year of high school.

The trip to Okinawa had been playing on my mind these pasts few hours, if my dad saw me or somehow heard i was coming back i don't know what I'd do. I'll just have to stay indoors most of the time and hope nothing terrible happened.

Could be nice to be back there, I missed it frequently. I missed the warm rays of sun hitting my skin, the red sands when the sun set. the salty smell even a mile from the beach, the cobblestone roads i'd walk back home, the night swims and everything. It was such a shame my demonic father has to lurk around my home town.

"What about?" I finally ask

"Nothing much" He says

I finish tying my laces and stand to my feet.

"It must be something"

"I'm just thinking about Banda" He admits keeping our eyes connected carefully

"Don't think about him. Think about me, your conceited genius girlfriend" I say giving him a smile before bending to kiss his jaw.

"I think about you more than you know"