Chapter 18

The Temporal Court is convening. Everyone is heading towards the Great Hall. I decide to stand back and watch as The Great Hall fills up. Some of the young men are confident, some are a little too confident. Arrogant pricks. I think to myself. Some of the young ladies are playing with their magic, some are flaunting what they think they have. Fucking sluts. I think again. The Guardian Ceremony is being held today and we will be given our wards. Today is supposed to be a day of great celebration for most. Not me I don't want the responsibility of another ward. I do not like the fact that someone else's life is in my hands once again. Not after what happened to Aleena but I will do my duty to the best of my abilities.

"Joseph." I heard a familiar voice call my name out. I look around and that is when I see Thomas trying to catch up with me. I smile slightly.

"Do you think you will be able to come out of retirement and get a new ward with this Guardian Ceremony?" He asked rather bluntly. That is one refreshing, although oddly irritating at the same time about Thomas.

"We will have to wait and see." I said my voice came out flat. I hope not. I don't want that kind of responsibility. I sure as hell don't want the bond that comes with having a new charge. I think to myself. Thankfully Thomas just left it at that and fell into step beside me as we made our way to the Great Hall.

There are some of the older Clans men coming up to me offering me a job for various purposes. Some of them sounded very ludactive. I politely turned them down. To my surprise I had an offer for a personal guardian. I told the gentleman that offered it to me that I would think on it. I had no intentions of thinking on it but it was the only way I could get him to leave me alone.

I had a couple of women come up and start flirting with me. I knew they only wanted to have sex, my reputation precedes me and it makes women wet. That is the only good thing it has gotten me. I set up a hook up with each of them for the next couple of nights. We are going to have a lot of fun.

Then this stunning woman strode up to me. Warning bells went off in my head. She has a purpose and I'm not sure I am going to like what that purpose is.

"You're Joseph Armstrong correct?"

"Yep, that's me."

'My name is Cindy and I have a proposition for you."

"Now what could one guardian have that a lady such as yourself doesn't have?"

"To be frank I want the prestige that being your wife will get me."

Well I wasn't expecting that. I just snort in response.

"Before you scoff at my idea, listen to my terms."

"Look, Cindy there is no way in hell I am going to marry a woman I just met."

"Don't think of it like a marriage, think of it as a business proposal."

"Business proposal or not, my answer is still no."

"Too bad, we could have been the power couple of the millennia."

"Sounds like you dodged a bullet with that one." Thomas said coming from the shadows.

"Right.."

"She's fine as hell but crazy."

"You alright?"

"I'm fine"

"You know what happened to Aleena wasn't your fault right?"

"How could it not be? I was her guardian."

Thomas is saved explanaing due to the ceremony beginning. We go stand in our places next to the Enolch's. Each of the clans started with the men shifting to their dragons and then their dragons and guardians meeting for the first time. The guardian can usually tell which ward will be theirs by a certain pull they feel. Thankfully I do not feel such a pull as of yet. The Immortal Hunter's clan is up now. Their Elder's son is receiving his guardian and the sister will be calling her magic. I watch as the young man struts up to the staging arena. It's not a strut of overconfidence. It is a strut of a true leader. Well this should be good. We haven't seen one of his type in a long time. I think. I watch as the women that will be calling their specialization line up. They all are gorgeous but there is one that outshines the others. Her natural beauty is shining through and so is her confidence. You don't see her trying to flaunt her body to get attention even though that dress would suggest otherwise. I am not sure how her breasts are bursting out of the top and her ass isn't popping out of the bottom.