Chapter 36

The past week had been a little weird, to say the least. There was no active hostility, but Johanna noticed that Sweeney and Nellie didn't seem to be talking at all, unless it was to tell the other that they would be opening their shop. Those bright smiles that she had seen on both of them previously were gone. Whenever she and Toby had talked to either of them, they would say that maybe they'd talk to each other soon, but they were starting to wonder when soon would be? "Do you think they're gonna talk things through?" Anthony asked. "I don't know." Johanna replied. "Mr. Todd said he would." Toby said. "That was a week ago." Johanna responded. "Him and his grudges." She said with a sigh. "This is all my fault!" "It's not your fault, Johanna!" Anthony reassured. "You didn't know she hadn't told him, and this is probably how he would've reacted anyway!" "Yeah, you had nothing to do with this!" Toby exclaimed.
   Johanna sighed again. "Thanks, I guess." She said. "You know, I suppose I do still have a trick up my sleeve if they don't work things out themselves." "What is it?" Toby asked. Johanna gestured to some mistletoe hanging from the ceiling. "The holidays are quite close, I figured I'd decorate." "You're such a genius!" Anthony exclaimed, smiling. "Are you gonna try and get them under the mistletoe together?" Toby asked. Johanna nodded, and he laughed a little. "Oh, I can't wait to see their reactions! It'll be priceless!" "It certainly will be!" Anthony said. "Let's just hope it actually works." Johanna responded, giggling. "I think it will." Anthony said. "You are quite clever." "Oh, you!" Johanna replied, giving him a kiss on the cheek.
   "Hello, you three!" She heard Nellie say as she walked in. "Hello, mum!" She said. "How are you feeling today?" Toby asked. "Yeah, is everything alright?" Anthony added. "I'll manage." Nellie replied. "Thank you for your concern." "Of course, it's no problem at all! We'll always be here for you, mum!" Toby exclaimed. "Thanks again, dearie! That's so sweet!" Nellie said. "Have you talked to dad at all?" Johanna asked. "Not yet." Nellie replied. Toby sighed. "What's taking him so long?" He asked. "He said he'd talk to you!" "Maybe he's just still processing things. I'd imagine he's got a lot on his mind." Nellie said. "Besides, I don't deserve his forgiveness anyway. I messed up." "That's not true, mum!" Toby exclaimed. "And who's to say he isn't going to forgive you? I did talk to him last week, and he told me more than I ever would've expected!" "I still can't believe that." Anthony said. "I told you he'd come around." Johanna added. She glanced over at Nellie. "I'll go talk to him." "Oh, you don't have to." Nellie replied. "It's alright, mum. I want you two to talk things through." Johanna said. "I'll be right back."
   She then headed upstairs, and knocked on Sweeney's door. "Who is it?" She heard him say. "It's me." She replied. "May I come in?" "I guess." Sweeney said. Johanna opened the door and walked in. "How are you doing today?" "I don't know, to be honest." Sweeney replied. "Everything feels wrong. I should be angrier with her, I shouldn't forgive her this easily, but I miss her!" "I think you were angry enough." Johanna said. "Too angry, in fact. All that shouting..." "Even if I did let this slide, who's to say that she'll just welcome me back with open arms after what I did?" Sweeney asked. "I hurt her, and I continue to hurt her by not speaking to her! I know I have my reasons, but at the same time, I really don't want to hurt her!" "Trust me dad, she wants nothing more than for you two to fix things." Johanna responded. "And that's what I'd suggest you do if you don't want to hurt her anymore."
   "But what about Lucy?" Sweeney asked. "I know you're upset, and I know you miss her. Trust me, I miss her too, and I've never really met her." Johanna said. "But dwelling on it isn't going to do you any good. You can continue to miss her, you can even continue to love her. That love will always be a part of you, she'll always be a part of you, but that doesn't mean you can't move forward, and love again." She continued. "And you can be upset, but know that you're not obligated to be angry and hold a grudge if you don't feel you can. What matters more to you, this grudge or mum?"
   Sweeney sighed. "Mrs. Lovett." He mumbled. "Mrs. Lovett means more to me than I ever thought she would." He said. "This would be so much easier if I loved her less, but damn it, she somehow snuck her way into my heart, and it seems she's made a home there!" "You should talk to her!" Johanna suggested. "And you should tell her how you feel!" "I'll talk to her." Sweeney replied. "But I won't be doing that second one. At least not yet." "Oh come on, dad!" Johanna said with a sigh. "What's stopping you?" "A lot of things." Sweeney replied. "Everything's just so complicated. On top of that, I feel like now wouldn't be the right time." Johanna nodded. "Alright. Well, you tell her whenever you find the right time." She said. "And make sure you actually talk to her! Don't say you will, and then not!"