One Falls First, The Other Falls Harder

Here's the Christmas update, as promised :)

Two weeks pass by, and I begin to wonder if maybe this whole Tyrone thing is bigger than him just needing space. 

I can barely resist talking to him, and although I've managed, he's still keeping his distance. 

I'm tempted to ask him if everything's alright or if I did something to upset him, but I remain strong. 

Probably for the first time in my life.

Not like today will be a challenge anyway. Tyrone's absent again. 

It's normal for him not be in math; if we were paid to attend, he'd be broke.

But when he's not in the other places he's supposed to be, it's official that he's not present.

And of course, this feeds to my worry about if everything's alright on his end.

But it's not like I can contact him in any other way than in-person. Which obviously doesn't work if that said person isn't there.

I sigh as I view the student in line ahead of me, waiting to get lunch. I hope Tyrone has enough to eat.

Just because I don't talk to him doesn't mean I don't think about him. It's hard not to. For some reason, he's the kind of person you worry about even when you don't always know why.

Scarlette joins up with me and we wait together, Scarlette going on about some fall event coming up. I'm realizing she's not so bad after all. I like her, and I really enjoy her company again. Probably because of Tyrone's absence.

 I'm also glad her other friends aren't with her. At least I don't have to worry about Aimee mentioning Tyrone or continue prompting me to find out if she has a chance with him. 

Which I doubt, but then again, it's more likely that he'd be with her than with me. 

Why did I think I had a chance in the first place? No one like Tyrone would ever be with me. If I wasn't so inept in conversing with other humans, then maybe.

"Khai? Do you hear me?" Scarlette's voice snaps me back to reality.

"Oh, what?" I question.

"What are you going to be?"

"I don't know yet. I still have time to decide I suppose." 

Scarlette nods.

"I was thinking of being a sexy cop."

"What?" I question before realizing that she's not talking about our futures. 

She's talking about Halloween costumes for that fall event. "Oh, nevermind." I add quickly.

"What do you think?" She asks.

"Um... sure, you do you." I say. 

I wonder if I should even go to this event. I don't know all the details, but one thing I do know is that costumes and I don't get along very well. 

Mostly because I can't even put my clothes on properly, let alone a costume. And secondly... how am I supposed to coordinate myself in one?

I shudder as I instantly recall when I was just four years old and my mom thought it'd be cute to make me a mini dinosaur by placing a T-Rex costume on me that caused me to trip like every two minutes. 

I also cried a lot. 

But at least everyone gave me extra candy because they all felt sorry for me. I think my mom did too.