Chapter 44

"Ah, if it isn't my favorite girl," Hannah said as Amelia hugged the older woman.

"Hi, Hannah," Amelia said as she saw how Rosalie was also there.

"We didn't even know you guys were coming down. Noah just told us that you guys came down bearing gifts," Rosalie said.

"Yeah, coming in October," Amelia said as Rosalie and Hannah looked at one another.

"Fortunately just one," Gabriel said as Hannah gasped in shock and hugged Amelia.

"I don't believe this. You are going down the same path as Noah currently is," Rosalie said.

"Hopefully a lot better. I hear Noah is falling off the wrong path. Drinking a lot. Where's Dad?" Gabriel asked as Hannah and Rosalie looked at one another.

"Mom, where's Dad?" Gabriel asked as his mother just bit her bottom lip.

"Mom," Gabriel said as Amelia rested her hand on his arm.

"Hannah, what's going on? Where's Michael?" Amelia asked.

Amelia stopped calling them Mr. and Mrs. Hunter many years ago. She didn't see the point in it anymore. They were like her family, but less formal. And she loved that about her relationship with the Hunter family.

"He is in Colorado," Hannah said as Gabriel looked at Amelia.

"What is going on? Why is he there?" Amelia asked taking the lead.

"My dad went for treatment after he had relapsed," Rosalie said.

The Hunter children grew up with an abusive father, yes. Michael didn't know how to handle his temper and at times he took it out on Hannah and Rosalie, even the boys. His temper drove him to alcohol which drove him to treatment for it just three years ago. Gabriel thought that was it. He was all better. But now, he was back there, and he didn't know why.

"Did he start drinking again?" Gabriel asked as Rosalie just nodded.

"He and Noah. We are trying to get Noah to get some help, but..." Rosalie said as Gabriel just stood up.

"Come on, Amelia," Gabriel said.

"Gabriel, wait," Hannah said.

"She just got away from that toxic relationship with Noah where he had hit her and drunk himself until he couldn't see anymore. And now both he and Dad are back there. She nor my children are going to face this. Then we are staying in Montana," Gabriel said as he and Amelia went out of the house.

"Gabriel," Amelia said as Gabriel looked at her.

"I am so sorry, Amelia, I'm..." Gabriel said as Amelia cupped his face.

"Hey, it's okay. Don't worry about this. Hey. You aren't your father. We will make this to the other side of the world. Don't worry about all of this," Amelia said.

"I don't want us staying too long," Gabriel said as Amelia nodded.

"We can avoid Noah then. I prefer it that way. I don't want a lot to do with him anyway. Let's just spend another day or two here then we head back home," Amelia said as Gabriel nodded.

"Come on, we need a day out of this mess. Let's just go and catch up with some old friends. I'll call Caleb and find out what they are doing tonight," Amelia said as Gabriel smiled.

"I love you for trying to do that, but let's not go too all out considering you are pregnant. Let's just spend the night with your sisters," Gabriel said as Amelia nodded.

"Sounds good to me," Amelia said.