Wind

It was like any other day when Luffy rose up and went sprinting directly for the kitchen. He grabbed pots, pans, whatever he could find, and started to make sound.

"GET UP EVERYBODY!!! SANJI I'M HUNGRYYY-" He yelled and smashed the metal cooking utensils together until he got a kick to the face. As Luffy fell flat on the back of his head, he saw the blonde cook, still in the position of a hard kick. 

"How many DAMNED times do I have to tell you NOT to mess with the kitchen!! You were forbidden to get in here before me ever since I set foot on this ship! We made a deal!" The furious cook placed his foot down.

Luffy grinned at him and flipped himself back on his feet, "Hehehe sorry Sanji! Are you gonna make something to eat now?"

"Not until Nami and Robin wake up, ladies first," Sanji flicked his lighter on and lit his cigarette, while thinking he was the world's kindest gentleman. Luffy ignored him and started jumping around in excitement as the angry cook chased him around the ship, a flaming leg raised.

After a while, the cook gave in on the chase and headed for the kitchen. A familiar chuckle caused Luffy to turn around, "Now, Luffy, don't go bothering your crew members like that, everyone has a limit to their tolerance, even for you, ya know?" 

Luffy smiled widely, "Nah, Sanji's okay with this, I do it every day and he didn't kick me off the ship- well, once into the sea.. Zoro had to come get me."

The slightly older man ruffled the younger's hair, "You're a pain in the ass!" He exclaimed sarcastically, although it was indeed, partially true.

Luffy couldn't stop wearing his trademark smile as he did this, he giggled and lifted the man's hand off of his hair, "Stop it, Aceeee!! How do you like me fiddling with your hair?" He challenged the other and tried reaching for the top of his head. 

"Only if you'll be able to reach it!" Ace teased, he was a good 10 cm taller than Luffy. The younger man pouted as he attempted to reach his brother's head by jumping. It didn't work, and it only made Ace laugh. Luffy then stretched his arm to try again, only to be dodged by Ace, missing an inch.

"Damn it!" Luffy shouted as he tried again. The older only continued to snicker as he avoided a few more flying rubber arms.

"When did this become a spar?" Ace was still snickering as Luffy threw more punches which he evaded easily.

Luffy collapsed to his knees in exhaustion, "Can't.. continue... anymore-..." He panted through breaths.

Ace scoffed, "Tired already? Gee, and I thought you got stronger!"

"I AM stronger!" Luffy huffed in protest, "Watch me kick your ass right now!"

Ace couldn't help himself from his laughter, and soon, Luffy joined in too. Having his brother on board made his journey complete.

--

"Ace, you should really consider joining my crew, you know." Luffy said, warming his hands against his brother's gentle flame.

"No thanks, little brother." Ace responded, much like Luffy had imagined, "I told you, I'm only helping Pops become the King of the Pirates." He flicked Luffy's forehead playfully, "And not you."

Luffy knew that his decision was final, but being the cheeky young adult he was, he insisted on Ace joining, "C'mon Aceeee!" He pleaded, "We have so much fun here! You'll love it!!"

Ace beamed but shook his head, "Sorry Luffy, but I'm not ditching Pops for you!" He then pulled at Luffy's rubbery cheek, which stretched miles before snapping back. Luffy was disappointed.

"But Ace!!!!" He tried again, but Ace pushed his face away, laughing loud. Luffy really was never going to being taken seriously whenever they were together.

Luffy frowned, "What's so good about the old guy anyway!!" He puffed his cheeks and looked the other way, avoiding eye contact with his big brother.

Ace stopped laughing and poked his little brother's face, "Be careful of what you're saying! He's my father." Ace paused, "You're not jealous are you?"

"I am very!" Luffy retorted, "I wanna know why Ace chooses Old Guy over me!"

Ace smirked before grabbing Luffy's nose, "Because he's my daaaaadddd!" He teasingly said as he rocked Luffy's face around.

"Gahh!" The younger struggled to get his brother's hand off of his nose, "Stop- stop playing with my face!" But Ace only cackled louder as he watched his brother's nose extend in his grip.

Luffy shook Ace's hand off and started rambling about how much better his crew was, most of the reasons were overly biased and they both eventually ended up tackling each other about it. It was so noisy that it woke Nami up.

"Luffy.. what are you doing at this hour? It's so late." Nami rubbed her eyes as she walked toward the seated Luffy, "Who are you talking to?"

"Hey Nami! Huh?" Luffy looked up, "Ace of course!" He grinned innocently.

This wore whatever sleepiness she had left off completely. She blinked in disbelief. Nami saw herself feeling bad. She didn't want to say anything that was going to hurt Luffy, though it couldn't be helped. "But Luffy.. Ace isn't...."

Luffy crossed his arms, "What? Jeez Nami, you're saying you can't see my brother in this bright fire? Is it cuz it's dark? Ace is-!" Luffy looked back at Ace, or at least where his brother was supposed to be, "-right here.." He trailed off. His brother had disappeared. Was even there from the start?

No.. he was definitely there! Luffy felt his brother fooling around with his elastic skin and he heard his brother's open laughter. 

Ace is there!

Ace was there...

Ace was..

...

He wasn't there.

It was a hallucination.

But then why.. why..?

Why did it feel so.. real?

The wind roared loudly. Cold. It was very cold. 

Nami sat down in front of the Straw Hat captain, who was staring off in the other direction with dull eyes. The fiery aura had disappeared, leaving only a pile of untouched logs he gathered earlier.. with Ace. 

There were no flames to keep him warm anymore, Luffy felt his heart sink to the bottom of the ocean as his smile faded away. Nami didn't say anything. She knew he needed this moment.

Luffy trembled from the aching thought. His heart and lungs hurt. Luffy felt like he was the one punched in the gut. He snapped back into reality as his tears started drizzling down. 

Luffy found his shakily sore arms slowly wrap around his body in a tight embrace from the pain, "..Y..Yeah.. I-I know.." He sniffled quietly, "I know."